If you tend to keep around a dozen of bottles of wine at home then a 12-bottle wine cooler refrigerator is a practical appliance fort short-term storage at proper temperature and humidity level.
We’ve listed and reviewed the most popular 12-bottle wine coolers in this article to help you select the best that matches your preferences.
- How Much Electricity Does a 12-Bottle Wine Cooler Use?
- Compressor or Thermoelectric?
- What Are the Ideal Drinking Temperatures for Various Wines?
- Is There A Built-In 12-Bottle Wine Cooler?
- Is There a Dual-Zone 12-Bottle Wine Fridge?
These small-capacity wine coolers are usually based on thermoelectric cooling method.
The application of thermoelectric technology in kitchen appliances is rather new but it has numerous benefits such as
- quiet operation,
- no vibration,
- low electricity consumption.
TIP: Find out more about how thermoelectric wine refrigerators work!
TIP: For best cooling performance place the cooler in a room where the temperature is around 60°F – 65°F (make sure it doesn’t exceed 75°F).
Wine Enthusiast 12-Bottle Wine Cooler
The Wine Enthusiast 12-bottle wine fridge is an attractive and compact unit. It’s a thermoelectric cooler (DOE compliant) that has one temperature zone.
It has space for 12 standard size bottles (Bordeaux style).
- Capacity: 12 Bottles (Bordeaux size & style:: 11.75″ high and 2.75″ wide)
- Cooling Method: thermoelectric
- Look & Style: black steel cabinet with mirrored door
- Door: dual pane glass with mirrored finish, recessed handle for firm grip
- Hinging: left, non-reversible
- Number of Zones: single-zone
- Temperature Range: 46 – 66°F (8 – 18°C) – great to keep reds cooled to a nice temp, and also to lightly chill some heavier whites (50 – 55°F/10 – 13°C.
- Temperature Control: digital touch buttons on the top part of the door. Tap the +/- icons to increase/decrease the temperature by 1 degree.
- Display: white LED – easy to see and monitor the temperature.
- Interior Light: soft white LED lighting
- Shelving: 3 chrome-plated wire racks (removable)
- Installation: freestanding only.
- Clearance needed: 5 inches (15 cm) at the sides and back for adequate ventilation.
- Dimensions: H: 19″ W: 14″ D: 20″
- Weight: 29 lbs.
Note: Tempearture in the fridge may fluctuate depending on the distribution of bottles and whther the light is on or off.
Price & Warranty
- Price: cc. 200 USD (cc. 16.7 USD per bottle).
- Warranty: 1 year parts & labor.
TIP: This wine cooler is single temperature zone so if you’re going to store both reds and whites in it place the reds on the bottom and the white wine bottles on the top. The fridge cools from the top to the bottom so it’s a bit cooler in the upper part.
- Compact, elegant fridge – perfect fit for a table top, countertop
- Simple to set-up and set temperature.
- Holds temperature well – if placed according to instructions.
- Quiet – apart from a slight buzz it’s almost noiseless.
- No vibration either – ideal for preserving wine quality.
- Requires quite a lot of room (5″) for proper air ventilation.
If you want to just keep your wines from going off at room temperature and chilled to pleasant drinking temperatures then the Wine Enthusiast 12-Bottle Wine Cellaris a good buy for its price.
It is an attractive appliance with high-end look that will be a highlight of any kitchen/home office or wine bar.
What’s more, it’s moderately priced but still offers ideal storage environment for 12 bottles of wine.
The model comes with 1 year limited warranty which is similar to waht other wine cooler manufacturers offer.
Nutrichef 12-Bottle Wine Cellar (PKCWC120)
The Nutrichef PKCWC120 wine cooler features slim design and state-of-the-art compressor cooling.
It has room for 12 normal size bottles that will be kept at right temperature and protected against sunlight.
You can place 4 bottles upright on the bottom rack – great feature if you end up with unfinished bottles after dinner.
See below the specifications of the PKCWC120 model in detail!
Note: An older Nutrichef wine fridge model, the PKCWC12 has nearly the same features as the PKCWC120 unit. The main difference is that the PKCWC12 model comes with a sturdy stainless steel and glass door with stainless steel bar handle.
- Capacity: 12 bottles (standard 750 ml, Bordeaux-style)
- Cooling Method: advanced compressor technology
- Look & Style: black metal cabinet with glass door.
- Door: stregthened dual layer glass door, tinted to block UV rays, has a grey trim at the sides, and integrated handle.
- Hinging: left, cannot be reversed.
- Number of Zones: single-zone, with broad temperature range.
- Temperature Range: 41 – 64°F (5 – 18°C) – you can adjust the cabinet temp. in a wide range allowing you to chill whites or cool reds to a pleasant drinking temp.
- Temperature Control: smooth touch buttons on the top of the door. UP/Down Arrows to set the desired temperature, interior light switch.
- Automatic Control Panel Lock: the control buttons will lock automatically 20 seconds after a button was pressed. This comes useful if you have small kids who might accidentally mess up your settings.
- Display: clear blue LED readout shows the interior tempearture.
- Interior Light: muted white LED illumination, tap the lightbulb icon on the top of the door to switch it on/off.
- Shelving: 5 chrome-plated, sturdy metal shelves: curved to keep bottles securely in place. These shelves slide all the way out, should you wish to take one or more out. 4 bottles can be placed upright (slightly tilted) on the bottom rack. This is great for storing opened bottles.
- Installation: freestanding only. Rotate the front feet to find a perfefctly level height.
- Clearance needed: 6″ at the back, 10″ at both sides, 2 inches at the bottom (so do not remove the legs).
Dimensions & Weight
- Height: 25″
- Width: 9.9″
- Depth: 19.7″
- 45.68 lbs.
Price & Warranty
- Price: cc. 230 – 240 USD (19.17 – 20 USD per bottle).
- Warranty: manufacturer’s guarantee covers any fault/failure for 1 full year.
- State-of-the art compressor cooling – less affected by the ambient temp. than thermoelectric units.
- Narrow width, compact size – though not for built-in use, and needs quite a lot of clearance the Nutrichef PKCWC120 cooler has small, space saving size.
- Has space for upright bottle placement.
- Classy, modern decor.
- Simple to install and adjust temperature.
- Affordable price.
- Needs a lot of clearance (6 inches at the rear, 10 inches at the sides).
Who Should Buy the Nutrichef PKCWC120?
It is a superb, space-efficient, premium-looking wine cooler at a great price.
Anyone who is serching for a small, well-made electric beverage cooler will be staisfied with the Nutrichef 12-bottle modell.
Most importantly, it will preserve your wines at just the right temperature, protected form sunlight and vibration or the odour of an ordinary fridge.
A huge advantage of this cooler is that you can keep a couple of opened bottles in it too.
Furthermore, it received very good average ratings and reviews on major commercial websites so I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it especally if it meets all other requirements.
Schmecke 12-Bottle Wine Refrigerator
This is a compressor fridge with single temperature zone and a square, compact shape ideal for a kitchen countertop placement.
- Capacity: 12 standard-size & shape bottles
- Cooling Method: latest compressor technology with internal air circulation fan
- Look & Style: black metal cabinet with black-trimmed transparent glass door
- Door: dual layer, well-insulated, tinted but transparent glass door with security lock & key. The recessed handle has a good grip. The tinted glass blocks UV rays but lets you view your wine collection.
- Number of Zones: single zone
- Temperature Range: 41 – 64°F (5 – 18°C) – a wide range that lets you chill sparkling wines and lighter whites.
- Temperature Control: digital touch buttons on the outer side of the door. UP/Down arrows to adjust the appropriate temperature, light bulb to switchon/off the lighting inside, °F/°C button to alternate between Fahrenhit Celsius display. In addition, There is also a “lock” button: you can lock the settings by pressing it.
- Display: white LED screen shows the interior temperature in clear easy-to-see numbers.
- Interior Light: soft white, low-intensity LED light. Just touch the “bulb” icon on the digital control panel integrated in the top of the door to turn it on/off.
- Shelving: 3 removable wire racks: one wavy, two flat with a stop to prevent bottle from falling out.
- Noise Level: 36 dBa
- Electricity Consumption: 95 Watts/hour
- Installation: freestanding only. Clearance required: 10″ on the sides, 6″ at the back, 2″ at the bottom (adjust it with the leveling legs). Do not place anything on the top.
Dimensions & Weight
- Height: 20.9″
- Width: 17.3″
- Depth: 18.5″
- Weight: 39.7 lbs.
Price & Warranty
- Price: cc. 190 USD (cc. 15.8 USD per bottle).
- Warranty: 1 year manufacturer guarantee for parts and labor.
- Sophisticated, clean look that will match your home decor.
- Advanced compressor cooling combined with the circulation fan and the sturdy door ensures stable temperature inside the cabinet.
- Low noise – if placed properly with sufficient space around the sides, the back and top, it will operate fairly silently.
- Favorable price – the lest expensive in our list so far. (Cost per bottle: cc.16 USD).
- Lots of clearance needed for efficient, noise-free operation.
Why Buy The Schmecke 12- Bottle Wine Cellar?
It’s no doubt an attractive wine chiller with great, space-saving dimensions.
Firstly, the fridge uses latest compresor cooling method with a nice temperature range that is just perfect for either chilling whites or cooling reds to perfection.
The low price is a big plus too.
With a 12-bottle storage space you can easily throw a wine dinner or party.
All in all, your guests will definitely appreciate the great tasting wines served at excellent temperature.
Koolatron 12-Bottle Dual-Zone Wine Cooler
The Koolatron Urban Series WC12DZ model has two temperature zones and space for 12 bottles of wine. You can simultaneously store reds and whites at suitable temperature levels.
Each zone holds 6 normal size and shape bottles (750 ml/Bordeaux style).
- Top Zone’s temperature can be set between: 54 – 66°F (12 – 18°C)
- Bottom Zone’s temperature range: 42 – 66°F (5 – 18°C) – recommended for whites, sparkling wines
- Capacity: 12 Bottles (6 in Upper Zone, 6 in Lower Zone)
- Cooling Method: thermoelectric cooling
- Look & Style: black stainless steel cabinet with mirrored door.
- Door: double pane with mirrored finish. Has recessed handle.
- Hinging: right (non-reversible).
- Number of Zones: two distinct temperature sections
- Temperature Range:
- Upper Zone: 54 – 66°F (12 – 18°C)
- Lower Zone: 42 – 66°F (5 – 18°C)
- Temperature Control: digital push buttons built-in the door. You can adjust the temperature for both zones by pressing the -/+ buttons. The interior light switch is also here. What’s more, you can switch between °F/°C display.
- Interior Light: low-intesity LED lighting: will nicely highlight the bottles but doesn’t generate too much heat.
- Shelving: 4 contoured chromed wire racks. You can remove them e.g. to make room for wider/taller bottles.
- Installation: freestanding only. Clearance needed: 2″ at the sides, 4″ at the rear, 2″ from the bottom – do not place it in an enclosed space!
- Energy consumption: cc. 235 kWh/year.
Dimensions & Weight
- Height: 14.9″
- Width: 9.7″
- Depth: 19.8″
- Weight: 17.6 lbs (8 kg).
Price & Warranty:
- Price: cc. 192 – 200 USD (16 – 16.7 USD per bottle).
- Warranty: only 90 days for parts and labor.
You might also be interested in our list of the Best Dual Wine Coolers for 2023!
- Slim design – an advantage if you scrunched on space in your home. Mkae sure, though that you leave sufficient space around the sides and back.
- Two temperature zones: there are few units with dual zone feature in the category of small wine fridges. So this is a distinct and notable specification.
- If everything operates smoothly the two separate zones let you store and cool reds, roses and whites/sparkling wines (some owners mentioned that the fridge wouldn’t hold the set temp.: for example, the lower zone cannot cool to the lower end of the range.
- Great price: considering the dual zone feature the Koolatron WC12DZ has a moderate price.
- Some might find the mirrored glass door too dark.
- Warranty is very short (90 days).
Who Should Buy the Koolatron WC12DZ?
If the two distinct temperature zones are important to you but you are not yet ready to invest in a larger dual-zone unit then get the Koolatron WC12DZ wine cooler.
It’s a fine-looking wine fridge with cool but simple to use digital controls and virtually silent operation.
It doesn’t take up much space while storing a dozen of bottles of wines at the right temperature.
A great choice for budding wine lovers who have started collecting wine recently.
Those who are well into wine collecting can use the Kooatron 12-bottle fridge as a service cabinet too.
Here are some quick tips to consider before buying a 12-bottle or other wine storage cooler.
- Do a thorough research before committing to purchase! Check and compare the most important technical specifications, and the warranty details.
- Make sure you have enough space for the cooler counting the clearance required for faultless and efficient operation!
- Check also that the ambient temperature where the appliance will be placed is what the manufacturer recommends! This will save headaches of the cooler not able to maintain temperature, makes too much noise etc…
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Electricity Does a 12-Bottle Wine Cooler Use?
A small wine fridge uses less electricity than a normal kitchen fridge. A 12-bottle unit consumes around 80 – 100 Watts depending on cooling method.
A thermoelelctric cooler needs less electricity to run. Power consumption also depends on where you place the appliance.
Thermoelectric coolers are very susceptible to ambient temperature. If placed in a warm room or cold basement a thermoelectric wine fridge may not keep the set temperature or will run all the time.
It pays to heed the placement recommendations provided by the manufacturers. Install a thermoelelctric wine fridge in a room where the temperature won’t go above 77°F. Best if it’s around 60 – 65 °F. Then you will save on operation time and electricity.
Compressor or Thermoelectric?
Thermoelectric cooling works best in small-size fridges up to 20-28 bottles max. So if you’ve found a a nice 12-bottle wine fridge that is based on thermoelectric technology then go for it!
It probably costs less than a similar-size compressor-operated refrigerator.
If placed in a room where the ambient temp. is what the manufacturer recommends then a thermoelectric wine cooler will work efficiently and almost soundlessly.
What Are the Ideal Drinking Temperatures for Various Wines?
Red, white, sparkling wine and champagne have different recommended drinking temperatures. You will enjoy and appreciate wine more if you serve it at the ideal temperature.
Reds served at too warm – above 68°F/20°C – will lose their complexity and taste too alcoholic. People usually tend to drink whites at too cold – 40°F/5°C at which it will taste dull.
Medium-bodied whites like Pinot Griggio, Sauvignon Blanc show their characters best at 45 – 50°F/7 – 10°C.
Storage temperature is a different thing though. Both whites and reds should be stored at around 55°F/13°C.
Here are the suggested drinking temperatures for different wines:
Beaujolais 54-59° F
Bordeaux – Red 62-67° F
Bordeaux – White 50-54° F
Cabernet Sauvignon 62-67° F
Champagne 40-44° F
Chardonnay 45-50° F
Chenin Blanc 43-48° F
Chianti 58-63° F
Dessert Wines 45-50° F
Gewurztraminer 45-50° F
Merlot 58-63° F
Pinot Gris 45-50° F
Pinot Noir 58-63° F
Rioja 59-68° F
Port – Tawny 50-55° F
Port – Vintage 62-67° F
Rosé 40-44° F
Sauvignon Blanc 50-54° F
Sparkling Wines 45-50° F
Sparkling Wines – Inexpensive 40-44° F
Syrah 59-68° F
Zinfandel Red 62-67° F
Is There A Built-In 12-Bottle Wine Cooler?
Currently there is no built-in/undercounter wine cooler with 12 bottles storage space.
Is There a Dual-Zone 12-Bottle Wine Fridge?
Yes, the Koolatron Urban Series 12-Bottle (WC12DZ) model has two temperature zones .
Similar Home Wine Cellars
The EuroCave Le Petite Wine Refrigerator is also a slim, 12″-wide cabinet that stores 10 bottles horizontally and you can also keep and preserve the quality of 2 opened bottles of wine in it.
TIP: Find more reviews and ratings of slim wine coolers.
Older Models with 12 Bottle Or Similar Capacity
- Vinotemp used to have 12-bottle wine cooler refrigerator models.
- Read reviews of Haier 12 Bottle Wine Coolers.
- The Chambrer 9+3 wine fridge allows the owner to place 3 bottles in upright position.
TIP: Vinotemp has recently launched a new 12 Bottle model: the Vinotemp VT-12TEDi wine cooler that features a new sleek design.
More Small Wine Cellar Options
- Popular 6-Bottle Wine Coolers – a round-up of the most sought after 6-bottle wine fridges. Mini home cellars that fit perfectly on a counter or tabletop.
- Best 8-bottle Wine Coolers – various 8-bottle electric home cellars. An 8-bottle wine fridge has small footprint so it will not take up much room.
- 16 Bottle Home Wine Cellars
- Budget Wine Coolers – read reviews of some quality inexpensive wine refrigerators.
- Countertop Wine Coolers – compact, countertop size fridges with various bottle capacity.