Last updated on October 2nd, 2020 at 07:33 am
Compressor-Run, Built-In Capable, Two Zones
The Avanti 46-Bottle wine cooler, (WCR5450DZ) is worth taking a look at if you’re looking for a great mid-sized, dual zone wine storage.
Main Features and Operation
You can store 16 ordinary size wine bottles in the upper zone and 30 bottles in the lower compartment.
Each zone has its own digital control and readout with one-touch buttons for red and white wines (upper zone) and for sparkling wines in the lower zone.
The Avanti WCR5450DZ wine refrigerator comes with 5 natural wooden shelves equipped with roller assembly (except for the bottom shelf) that ensures smooth pull out.
The control panel is integrated into the top part of the wine cooler in between the two zones.
By pressing the Up and Down arrows you can increase or decrease the temperature by 1 degree increments and set a desired temperature in the range of 40°F – 55°F for the upper zone and between 55°F – 65°F for the lower zone.
The factory preset temperature for the upper zone is 50°F which is good for storing whites, and 60°F for the bottom compartment where you can keep your reds. For storing sparkling wine use the top zone and set it to 40°F – 47°F.The temperature inside the unit is indicated in red in the DISPLAY window.
You can adjust the cooler to display temperature either in Fahrenheit or Celsius (the default is °F): to switch to Celsius press the Up and Down arrows at the same time for 5 seconds. In the display “Scale” the selected scale will appear in green.
There’s also a light switch for both zones to turn on or off the interior light. The light will turn off automatically after 10 minuntes.
To be able to achieve 45 – 65 deg. Fahrenheit, place the wine cooler in a room where the temperature is around 72 – 78°F.
Note, that after unplugging the unit or following a power outage you have to wait 3-5 minutes before restarting the cooler.
The Avanti WCR5450DZ wine cooler has black cabinet with stainless steel framed glass door wich is double pane and slightly tinted to protect your wines from UV rays.
As standard, the door opens to the left, but it can be reversed which makes finding a place for the unit in your home easier. The door is equipped with a removable stainless steel bar handle and lock and key set.
The wine cooler’s venting is in the front allowing both built-in and freestanding use. It also meets the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA Compliant). See other built-in wine refrigerator models.
- Capacity: 46 bottles (upper zone: 16 bottles, lower zone: 30 bottles)
- Cabinet color: black
- stainless steel-framed, dual pane, slightly tinted glass door,
- removable stainless steel handle fitted on top door frame
- lock & key,
- Cooling method: compressor, auto defrost
- Number of zones: two
- Built-in/Freestanding: both, front ventilation UL approved, ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) Compliant
- Temperature Control: adjustable digital thermostat for each zone, Temperature Range upper zone: 40°F – 55°F
bottom zone: 55°F – 65°F
- Shelving: 5 pull-out natural wood shelves,1 stationary shelf at the bottom
- Noise: average, if works properly
- Electricity consumption: no information
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 33.75″ x 23.5″ x 25.5″)
- Weight: 111.0 lbs.
- Price range: $930 – $1000 ($20.2 – $21.7 per bottle)
- Warranty: 5 year on compressor, 1 year on parts and labor
Pros & Cons
- Pros: good-looking unit, great for under the counter placement, easy-to-use digital controls & display
- Cons: poor service from Avanti, early failures, unreliable, may not work past the warranty period.
Consumer Complaints on the Avanti 46-Bottle Wine Cooler
- Poor Repair Service, Early Failure
- One owner of the Avanti WCR5104DZD wine fridge reported that the unit broke down after 8 months. It was running constantly but didn’ cool.
- The unit couldn’t be repaired so he got a replacement under the warranty. Unfortunately the same problem occured after 1 year. No luck with getting help from Avanti. (perhaps it is worth getting an extended warranty for some extra bucks).
- Several other customers of Avanti wine fridges have complained of the lousy repair service.
- Actually there are many complaints on inefficient repair service in case of both Avanti and Danby wine coolers. A consumer couldn’t get a repair person to come to his home to repair the unit.
TIP: Note, that some of the wine storage are really cheap wine cooler refrigerators with less sturdy built, which may result in lots of consumer complaints with which the repair service of the company cannot cope.
So make sure you consider every major factor apart from capacity and price, before deciding on which brand and model you’re going to buy.
Make sure you check the length of warranty and what’s covered by it. Retailers usually offer 1 year warranty for parts and labor, and 5 years parts only on the compressor. Extended warranty can be opted for extra charge. The fan is the most likely part that can break down after the warranty period is over.
Visit our main page about Avanti Wine Cooler Refrigerators.
- Avanti Dual Zone Wine Cooler Reviews.
- The Best 40-50 bottle wine refrigerators – selection of popular 40+ bottle wine coolers.
- NewAir 46 Bottle Built-In Wine Cooler – compressor-based with dual zone feature
- The Summit SWC530LBI Wine Cooler stores 46 bottles of wine in two independently controlled temperature zones.
- Jenn-Air 46 Bottle Wine Cellar – although it is not a true dual zone unit, the Jenn-Air JUW248 wine cooler is an elegant model with slide-out maple wood shelves.
- Kitchenaid Wine Cooler – has the same features and look as the Jenn-Air units.