Last updated on May 19th, 2021 at 03:06 pm
A French-door wine refrigerator will surely add style to your kitchen or home bar.
Quick Links: Nutrichef 24-Bottle Wine Cooler (Under 500$) – Wine Enthusiast 24-Bottle Wine Cooler (Under 500$) – Phiestina Wine & Beverage Cooler (cc. 900$) – (Zephyr Brisas 21-Bottle/64-Can Wine Fridge – Kalamera 40-Bottle Wine Cellar –
What’s more it will have enough storage space to keep plenty of your favorite winesd within proper storage conditions.
Several trusted manufacturers offer home wine storage cabinets with two door design.
Let’s see which are the best-value models in 2021!
Stylishness aside, wine coolers with two doors have dual temperature zones. You can store reds in one of the sections while chilling whites, sparkling wine in the other.
Alternatively, the two-compartment design allows you set both sections to the same temperature.
French Door Wine/Beverage Coolers Under 500 USD
In this price category you will only find freestanding units, meaning they cannot be fitted in with other cabinetry since they ventilate at the back.
Wine Enthusiast 24-Bottle Dual-Zone Wine Refrigerator
This is a new model in 2021 by Wine Enthusiast, a U. S. manufacturer with decades of experience in designing and manufacturing wine storage cabinets.
The two separate compartments – each holding 12 – 12 bottles – have the advantage of really fine-tune the temperature setting.
True Dual Zone
You can programme the two cabinet sides independently between 41 – 64°F (5 – 18°C).
This means that you can keep whites/sparkling wine nicely chilled in one part of the cabinet and aim for long-term storage at 55°F in the other part.
The Wine Enthusiast 24-Bottle Wine Cellar comes with 5 – 5 wavy-shape wire racks. Each compartment has 4 removable racks and one fixed shelf on the bottom for display purposes.
You can reach the maximum 24 bottles storage capacity if you stock only 750 ml standard size, Bordeaux-style bottles.
Each rack can accommodate 2 bottles of wine (typical Bordeaux style).
Shelves can bear maximum 25 lbs. weight.
The electric touch controls and display is mounted inside, on the top part of the cabinet.
You will find the following buttons
- Interior Light Switch
- Fahrenheit/Celsius Selector
- Display Screen
- Up/Down Arrows
Placement – Standalone Only
This model ventilates at the top and sides so it is not for built-in installation. Leave at least 4 inches room at top and rear and 2 inches at the sides.
You find the power cord at the bottom left side of the cabinet rear. It’s 62″ long.
Capacity: 24 standard-size & Bordeaux bottles (cc. 11″ tall and 3″ wide), 12 -12 in each side.
Cooling Method: compressor cooling with fan
Look & Style: black cabinet with black trimmed glass door, black interior.
Door: double layer, slightly tinged to filter UV rays, black trim
Handles: two solid, stainless steel bar handles
Number of Zones: dual temperature zone, with independent controls and display.
Temperature Range: 41 – 64°F (5 – 18°C) on both sides.
Temperature Control: electric touch buttons on both sides
Display: blue LED numbers on both sides.
Interior Light: white LED lighting fitted in the top of the cabinet interior.
Shelving: 5 – 5 chromed, contoured wire racks. 4 sliding racks plus 1 tilted for display on the bottom in each side.
Noise Level: cc. 42 dBA.
Installation: freestanding only, has adjustable legs.
Clearance Required: 4 inches on the back & top, 2 inches at the sides.
Recommended Ambient Temp.: 61 – 90°F (16 – 32°C)
Dimensions & Weight
- H: 31.4″ W: 20″ D: 19.3″
- Weight: 62 lbs. (28 kg).
Price & Warranty – Wine Enthusiast 24-Bottle Wine Fridge
- Price: cc. 450 USD (18.75 USD per tbottle).
- Warranty: 1 year parts & labor, 3 years on sealed system.
- Inexpensive considering the size and functions.
- True Dual Zone with the divided sections – flexibility in temperature setting and types of wines stored.
- Space saving, compact design – will not occupy much space yet you can store and cool two-dozens of wines in it.
- U. S. based technical and customer support.
- Not for built-in placement – but it is a pretty little fridge that will look great standalone.
- Warranty length could be longer.
TIP: Here you can find information on more wine fridges made by Wine Enthusiast.
Why Buy The Wine Enthusiast 24-Bottle Wine Fridge?
It is a reasonably priced model in the category of French door wine coolers. Has all the important features that you want in a dedicated wine refrigerator.
Digitally controlled temperature – in both zones. The really big advantage is that you can independently adjust and monitor the temperature in the two sides.
If you stick to Bordeaux-type bottles (750 ml) than you can max out the storage space too. You can keep your favorite whites chilled to perfection in one of the sections while storing reds exclusively in the other.
Otherwise be prepared to having to remove a shelf or two to make room for bigger bottles.
The Wine Enthusiast 24-Bottle wine cooler has nice unobtrusive size. Will look great in any kitchen, home office or wine bar.
Nutrichef 24-Bottle French Door Wine Cooler (PKCWC24)
The Nutrichef PKCWC24 is one of the most inexpensive double-door wine cellars.
It really looks like two of the Nutrichef 12-Bottle models put together and it is similar to the Wine Enthusiast model listed above.
Compressor cooling with fan-assisted ventilation keep wines at stable temperature.
What’s more, the double compartment design allows for dual zone use. Both sections have their own temperature control, display and light switch.
The only drawback might be that it is for standalone placement only, due to the ventilation being at the back.
Do not enclose it because the cooler will be unable to get rid off the warm air inside and maintain the set temperature!
On the other hand, it looks great placed next to a counter, or on a table though it weighs quite a lot fully loaded..
Capacity: 24 standard-size & style bottles (cc. 11″ tall and 3″ wide).
Cooling Method: Compressor cooling with fan
Look & Style: Black matte cabinet with stainless steel framed double glass door.
Door: Dual-pane, see-through glass with brushed stainless steel trim.
Handles: two stainless steel straight bar handles for easy opening.
Number of Zones: dual temperature zone.
Temperature Range: 41 – 64°F (5 – 18°C) on both sides.
Temperature Control: Digital touch pad controls integrated on top of the cabinet interior in both compartments. Up/Down arrows to set the temp., light switch, Fahrenheit/Celsius selector.
Display: White LED readout – you will clearly see the interior temp. of both sections.
Interior Light: Low-intensity white LED light (switch button is on the control panel).
Shelving: 5 – 5 removable chromed wire shelves, scalloped shape. 1-1 tall rack on the bottom where you can place bottles in upright position.
Noise Level: cc.40 dBA.
Installation: Freestanding only. Clearance required: 6 inches at the sides and top, 8 inches at the back.
TIP: The control panel locks automatically after 20 seconds of not touching it. Press the “Light” button for 2 seconds (resembles a small flowerhead) to unlock it.
Dimensions & Weight
- H: 31.4″
- W: 20″
- D: 19.3″
- Weight: 79.25 lbs (36 kg).
Price & Warranty – Nutrichef PKCWC24 & PKCWC240
- Price: cc. 400-500 USD (16.6 – 20.8 USD per bottle) – out of the two models the PKCWC24 costs slightly more, but usually available under or for 500 USD.
- Warranty: 1 year parts & labor. Do get an extended warranty if possible!
- Affordable yet you can store quite a few bottles of wine in it.
- Dual-zone: keep whites at consbtant 55°F for a longer period in one of the parts, and keep whites nicely chilled in the other part.
- Compact design – despite the quite capacious storage space the cabinet size doesn’t take up much space.
- Stylish – French doors are chic, no doubt about it.
- You can store opened bottles on the bottom tall racks.
- Short warranty period (1 year).
- Several owners mentioned that the screws provided for the handle are two short. TIP: Use a magnetic screwdriver to help getting the screws all the way in the door.
Why Buy the Nutrichef 24-Bottle Wine Cooler?
The Nutrichef PKCWC24/PkCWC240 is one of the cheapest options if you wish to buy a wine refrigerator with French doors.
Despite the low price it’s a well-made, elegant cooler intended for freestanding placement.
It has two distinct temperature zones where you can store and cool reds and whites separately at suitable temperatures.
French Door Wine Coolers – Around 1000 USD
If you are ready to spend more on wine storage take a look the following models.
Phiestina 20-Bottle Wine & Beverage Cooler
Phiestina makes trendy wine coolers in various sizes. This double door model has space for 20 standard size wine bottles and 78 canned drinks (soda, beer, water).
It costs approximately just 900 – 1000 USD. It is not a small amount of money but it’s not much either compared to similar size and style units.
The cabinet has fully finished back so can be slotted in with other appliances under a counter. Just leave 3 inches room for the electric plug.
Temperature Control & Display
The Phiestina PH-150BCW3L has two distinct temperature zones. Both zones have their own
- temperature controls,
- display and
- light switch.
Just press the metal knobs integrated in the top panel inside the two sections.
- Wine section (left side): 40 – 66°F (5 – 18°C)
- Beverage section (right side): 38 – 50°F (3 – 10°C)
In the left side you can chill whites/sparkling wine or cool reds to the correct drinking temperature – the wide range of temperature makes it easy.
The right cabinet side is designed for keeping all sorts of canned beverages at a really cool temperature. Just place in your favorite craft beers or soda drinks, set the temperature and enjoy your beverage.
The screen shows the interior temperature in sharp blue numbers. No problem to see them even at some distance.
The buttons on the control panel come in the following order:
- Power switch – press it for 3 seconds to turn on/off the cooler.
- Up – press it to increase the temperature by 1 degree
- Display Screen – shows the cabinet temperature in blue LED numbers (either in Fahrenheit or Celsius degree, you can set the cooler to which you prefer).
- TIP: Hold the light switch for 3 seconds to change from Fahrenheit to Celsius display. Repeat to change it back.
- Down – press it once to decrease the cabinet temperature by 1 degree.
- Interior Light Switch – press it to turn On/Off the light inside the fridge.
Sabbath Mode – Turn Off Light & Control Panel Display Light
If you wish to disable all illumination – inside light and the control panel light then hold the UP and DOWN buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds.
The fridge will operate normally keeping the set temperatures.
To switch back, press again the UP and DOWN buttons for 3 seconds.
The wine side includes 7 removable black wire shelves with aluminium front.
The integrated stoppers prevent accidental pulling out of a shelf and the bottles falling down.
You can however pull out an empty shelf to make room for large bottles.
The beverage side has 5 black wire racks that conveniently hold all sorts of beverages: beer, soda, mineral water, juices etc.
Key Features – Phiestina PH-150BCW3L
Capacity: 20 wine bottles (standard style, 750 ml, 2.75″ in diameter, 11.8″ in height), 78 cans (0.33 oz.)
Cooling Method: Compressor with efficient air circulation system ensured by two fans
Look & Style: Matte black cabinet with stainless steel framed glass door and stainless steel front grille
Door: Twin layer, slightly tinted against UV rays
Handles: Easy-grip stainless steel bar handles
Lock: No lock.
Number of Zones: Dual temperature zone with independent displays and controls
Temperature Range: wine section: 40 – 66°F (5 – 18°C), 38 – 50°F (3 – 10°C).
Temperature Control: Press buttons on a black control panel located at the top part of the fridge interior on both sides.
Display: Blue LED readout on both sides.
Open Door Alarm: A beeping sound will alert you if the door is not closed within 1 minute of opening or not closed properly.
Interior Light: blue LED
Shelving: 7 stainless steel fronted for the wines (all of them can be pulled out), 5 black wire shelves on the beverage side (all are removable)
Noise Level: cc.48 dBA
Electricity Consumption: cc. 0.51 Watt per 24 hours.
Installation: Can be built in flusah under a counter or used as freestanding.
Leveling Legs: The front 2 legs are adjustable. Rotate them to find a horizontal height.
Clearance Required: Leave at least 3 inches for the electric plug.
Power requirements: The fridge plugs into a 3 prong outlet. The power cord is at the bottom left side (when you face the back side). It’s cc. 3 feet long.
Dimensions & Weight
- Height: 33.9″, Width: 23.4″, Depth: without handle: 22.4″ with handle: 24.4″
- Suggested Built-In Dimensions. H: 34.3″, W: 23.8″, D: 22.4″
- Weight: 135.7 lbs. (62 kg).
Price & Warranty
- Price: cc. 1 000 USD.
- Warranty: 1 year parts.
- Elegant double door design ideal for under the counter installation.
- Wide temperature range in both zones
- Holds quite a lot of canned beverages that can be stored at appropriate temperature.
- Simple to set and monitor the temperature – handy metal touch knobs lets you control the temperature and interior light.
- Open door alarm – beeping sound and flashing of the screen let you know if the door has been left open.
- Short warranty – limited 1 year only on replacement parts (can be extended for extra cost).
- Doors can’t be locked.
- Perhaps a bit noisier than other similar beverage fridges.
Who Should Buy the Phiestina 20-Bottle/78-Can Wine Fridge?
Due to the short warranty period he Phiestina PH-150BCW3L wine & beverage cooler wouldn’t be our first choice.
But if you come across a really good deal (less than 800 USD) then go ahead and buy it. It has a nice size, especially on the canned beverage side (78 cans, 33 oz.).
With all the other specs and advantages (Open Door Alarm, wide temp. range.) it is not a terribly bad choice.
Furthermore, this Phiestina beverage refrigerator has a sophisticated look with the the double stainless steel and glass door.
Zephyr Brisas Series Wine Fridge/21-Bottle Wines/60 Cans
Zephyr’s new line of wine and beverage coolers offer some really cool features at affordable price.
It has open door alarm, Sabbath mode, Vibration Reduction System, and air filter to keep interior air odorless.
Key Features – Brisas BWB24C32AG
Capacity: 21 standard size bottles/64 12 oz. cans
Cooling Method: Top-of-the-line compressor technology with dual evaporator: Active Cooling Technology. Uses coolant that is not hazardous to the environment.
Look & Style: Black cabinet with black interior, stainless steel trimmed glass door.
Door: double layer with Low-e Argon fill, tinted for UV protection, 304-grade stainless steel frame.
Door Opening: Doors open to max. 135 degree.
Door Alarm: Beeping alerts you if the door has been left open for more than 3 minutes. The display will flash 00.
Handles: Sturdy stainless steel handles (2).
Number of Zones: Two temperature zones, both with its own controls/display.
Temperature Range: 38 – 65°F (3 – 18°C) on both sides. Very wide range, lets you nicely chill your wine and soda drinks or beer.
Temperature Memory: In case of power failure the fridge will reset to the set temperatures..
Temperature Control: touch button controls: power icon, Up/Down Arrows-left side, LED screen for the left and the right side, Up/Down Arrows for the right side, light switch.
Display: clearly visible LED screen windows: left side, right side, “R” light: this is the “Compressor Running” indicator, ºF/ºC Selector.
Interior Light: blue LED light, switch is on the left side of the control panel.
Shelving: Wines: 6 slide-out metal racks with black plastic front, Cans: sliding glass shelves with black plastic front. Shelves are removable.
Noise Level: 40 dBA. Low-noise yet efficient cooling.
Vibration Dampening System: reduces shaking to minimal, preventing
Installation: Built-in/freestanding – do not block the ventilation grille in the front.
Clearance: Leave 1″ at the back for the electric plug.
Leveling legs: Rotate the legs to adjust level placement.
Carbon Filter Replacement: Z0F-C004.
Filter Replacement Frequency: cc. 3 – 6 months, depending how much odor gets into the interior.
Dimensions & Weight
- H: 33.87″ W: 23.87″ D: 23.5″
- Built-In Dimensions: width. 24″, height: 34″
- Weight: 130 lbs. (59 kg).
Price & Warranty
- Price: cc. 1 100 USD
- Warranty: 2 years parts, 5 years compressor, 1 year on labor.
- Premium features at an unbeatable price. Sabbath mode, Open Door Alert etc., Temperature Alarm, Air Filter
- Quality compressor cooling technology (twin evaporators and air circulation fan) with temperature alert.
- Advanced UV filtering and thermal insulation in the door – helps maintain stable temperature inside the fridge.
- Excellent craftmanship – beautiful stainless steel decor with practical shelving.
- Dual-Zone with wide temp. range allows for simultaneous storage of various wines and canned drinks.
- Nice warranty period: 5 yrs on compressor, 2 yrs on parts, 1 yr on labor.
- Doesn’t have door lock – I don’t think it’s an absolute necessity for most people. The cooler has so many innovative features that counterbalance the lack of security door lock.
Why Buy The Zephyr Brisas 21-Bottle Beverage Center?
Kalamera 40-Bottle Wine Refrigerator, KRC-40DZB
The Kalamera KRC-40DZB dual-zone wine cellar stores up to 40 bottles of wine in its two compartments, 20 – 20 in each side.
The see-through glass French doors look very chic and allow easy access to the two cabinet parts.
What’s more, you can lock both doors if you do not want anyone to open the fridge and have access to your wines.
It is quite well-priced and comes with all the must-have features you want in a good-quality wine storage unit.
Temperature Control & Display
Both temperature zones have control panel built in the top part of the cabinet interior. It features the following touch buttons
- Power turn on/off button – press for 3 seconds to switch on or off the appliance.
- Setting the temperature (Up/Down Arrows) – press once to raise/lower the temp. by 1 degree increments.
- Display screen- white LED display on the left and right side.
- Fahrenheit/Celsius display: keep the light switch icon pressed for 3 seconds to change from Fahrenheit to Celsius and vice versa.
- Light switch – a touch pad icon that looks like the sun. Press it to switch on/shut down the interior illumination.
As you can see it is really straightforward to operate the wine fridge and set the appropriate temperatures..
How To Deactivate Interior Light & Display (Sabbath Mode)?
If you want to turn off the display light and the interior light just hold the UP/DOWN buttons for 3 seconds.
The fridge will operate normally with the compressor and fans running when necessary.
To reactivate the functions press the two buttons again for 3 seconds. The interior light and control panel illumination will switch on.
Shelving & Bottle Configuration – Kalamera KRC-40DZB
Each cabinet side of the Kalamera 40-Bottle wine cellar boasts 7 – 7 natural beechwood racks.
The bottom shelf is not as deep as the other 6 shelves so it has space for 2 standard size bottles.
On the other 6 shelves you can fit in 3 bottles: 2 with the bottom facing outward, and 1 in reverse direction on top of the 2 bottles.
To take out or put in a bottle, you need to pull out a shelf to 3-4 inches.
You can pull out the shelves, just make sure the door is open to 90 degrees.
Dimensions & Weight
- Without Handle: H: 33″ W: 23.4″ D: 22.4″
- With Handle: H: 33″ W: 23.4″ D: 24.2″
- Built-In Dimensions (Suggested by The Manufacturer): H: 33.2″ W: 23.8″ D: 22.4″
- Net Weight: 106.9 lbs. (48.5 kg).
- Gross Weight: cc. 116.8 lbs. (53 kg).
- A sharp looking, compact wine storage with double door design – will look superb either installed under a counter or placed standalone.
- Dual temperature zones with digital controls and display.
- Open Door Alarm – won’t let the door stay open for long minutes because the a sound will let you know about it. Also the display screen will gleam.
- Safety Lock – hexagonal security lock on both sides. Two keys are included.
- Not noisy – some operation noise can be heard when the cooling cycle is on.
- Short warranty: only 1 year. This is not really satisfactory in case of a rather costly appliance.
Price & Warranty – Kalamera KRC-40DZB
- Price: cc. 900 – 1 200 USD (cc. 22.5 – 30 USD per bottle).
- Warranty: 1 year on parts and labor. You can pay extra for extension: 89 USD for 2 years at the manufacturer.
Key Features – Kalamera KRC-40DZB
Capacity: 40 standard-size wine bottles (750 ml, bordeaux-style)
Cooling Method: Compressor technology with air ventilation fans.
Look & Style: Matte black cabinet with stainless-steel framed double doors.
Door: Dual layer, tempered, transparent glass, slightly smokey colored against UV rays, has stainless steel trim.
Open Door Alarm: A beeping alerts you if the door/doors haven’t been closed properly. The display will also flash in warning.
Security Lock: Both doors can be locked. 2 keys are included.
Handles: stainless steel bar handles.
Number of Zones: Two distinct temperature zones, each stores 20 – 20 bottles.
Temperature Range: 40 – 66°F (5 – 19°C) on both sides. Display can be set to Fahrenheit or Celsius. Just press the light switch icon for 3 seconds.
Temperature Control: Digital press buttons on both sides integrated on the top section of the cabinet interior.
Display: White LED numbers on a blue background.
Interior Light: Blue LED light, switch is on the control panel, just press the icon resembling a sun to turn on/off the lighting.
Water Container: A plastic box is included. You put water in it and place it in the fridge to increase humidity inside.
Noise Level: 42 dBA.
Electricity Consumption: 0,684 kWh/24 hours, cc. 250 watts annually.
Installation: Built-in under a counter or freestanding.
Leveling Legs: Use the screwable legs to adjust horizontal height.
Carbon Filter Replacement: Carbon filter to adsorb any unwanted odors.
Filter Replacement Frequency:
Why Buy The Kalamera 40-Bottle French-Door Wine Cooler?
Well, we can list several reasons why it is a good-value appliance to store your wines in it.
Besides the refined look which the French door design enhances even more, it does what it is was made for:
Keeps your wines at the most suitable temperature, protected form direct sunlight, vibration and unpleasant odors (like cheese etc in an ordinary fridge).
Not to mention the two independent temperature zones which adds the flexibility of storing reds in one of the sections and whites in the other. You have room for 20 – 20 bottles in both sides.
Our only grumble is that the warranty period should be longer. So if this bothers you too either buy warranty extension or pick a different wine fridge
E.g. the Zephyr Brisas model listed above looks excellent in all regards.