If you have medium to large collection of wines then it’s a good idea to find adequate storage place for it. Preferably with ideal temperature and humidity conditions and proper racking.
Built-in wine cooler refrigerators are manufactured exactly for this purposes.
Why Buy a Built-In Wine Cellar?
They are zero-clearance appliances designed to sit flush with and fit neatly in your existing cabinetry.
The ventilation (forcing the hot air out of the cabinet interior) is in the front so you can install the appliance with its back against the wall.
Note: You still need to leave some space, cc. 1″ – 1/2″ for proper air circulation.
Built-in wine coolers and wine refrigerators are available in various sizes from
- full-height, large capacity units to
- small undercounter wine fridges.
The smallest built-in wine coolers can hold around 18 – 28 bottles but there are capacious models which can accommodate 100 or more bottles of wine.
To save space you can build in the wine cooler under the counter or any other suitable place in your kitchen (library, recreational room).
Slim design built-in wine coolers occupy as much space as a kitchen trash bin or garbage compactor does. They take up less room than freestanding wine coolers, however you can use most models as standalone.
You can choose from different decors to have it match with the overall design and look of your kitchen.
Larger, high-end built-in wine coolers with multiple temperature zones are rather expensive. Some models even require a professional to install them.
Slim, Built-In Wine Coolers
If you have only a narrow space to fit in the unit, look for a wine refrigerator with 15 inch or less width.
12-Inch Wide Wine Coolers in 2021
You can get some very good-looking wine fridges that are only 12″ wide. A built-in unit will be perfect fit under a counter.
Kalamera 18-Bottle 12″, Built-In Wine Cellar
The Kalamera KRC-18SZB is an elegant moderately-priced model with less than 12 inches width. It has one temprature zone.
Has a stainless-steel trimmed glass door that matches a matte black cabinet. The door is double layer and slightly tinted to protect against UV light.
Natural wooden shelves – 6 altogether – hold the wine bottles.
You can pull out the shelves if you wish to make room for non-standard size bottles or store canned drinks instead of wine.
Key Features – Kalamera KRC-18SZB
- Capacity: 18 standard size & style bottles (750 ml).
- Cooling method: compressor with interior fan for even temperature distribution.
- Number of Zones: single temperature zone
- Tempearture Range: 40 – 66°F (4.5 – 18°C).
- Temperature Control: digital press buttons for setting the temperature, switching on/off the interior light, and changing from Fahrenheit to Celsius or back.
- Direction of Door Opening: left (can be changed to right, hinges and screws are included).
Dimensions & Weight:
- Height: 33.9″
- Width: 11.6″
- Depth: 22.4″ (with handle: 24.2″)
- Weight: 63.9 lbs.(29 kg).
Price & Warranty:
- Price: cc. 480 – 500 USD (26.7 – 27.8 USD per bottle).
- Warranty: 1 year.
TIP: Here you can read more about the Kalamera 18-Bottle 12″ Built-In wine cooler!
15-Inch Built-In Wine Refrigerators
15″ wide wine coolers are specifically designed to fit into existing kitchen cabinetry to provide space-efficient wine storage solution in households.
These compact wine storage appliances come in many various designs, providing ample decor choices and, in case of higher-end models, several customization options
- custom stain and finish of wood shelves,
- custom door frame etc.).
TYLZA 30-Bottle Wine Cellar
TYLZA is new wine cooler brand and according to owners they make very good-value home wine cellars.
Currently their smallest model holds 30 bottles in two independent temperature zones.
Its width measures only 15 inches an ideal size for placing it under a kitchen island/counter.
- Capacity: 30 standard size wine bottles (750 ml, Bordeaux-style)
- Two zones with separate toucn button controls and temperature display.
- Top Zone (white section): 40 – 55°F,
- Bottom Zone (red section): 55 – 65°F
- 6 removable unvarnished wood shelves. They slide out smoothly to provide access for the bottles or when you place the bottles in.
- Temperature Recall Feature: if electricity is down, the fridge will return to the temperatures set before the outage.
- Door lock with 2 keys.
Dimenisons & Weight
- Height: 33.3″
- Width: 15″
- Depth: 23″
- Weight: 77 lbs. (35 kg).
Price & Warranty
- Price: cc. 460 – 510 USD (15.33 – 17 USD per bottle).
- Warranty: 1 year parts and labor.
TIP: Here is our full review on the TYLZA 30-Bottle 15″ Wine Cooler!
MOOSOO 30-Bottle Dual-Zone Wine Cooler
MOOSOO is a recent addition to the world of wine cooler brands.
It is mainly known for its lightweight, upright vacuum cleaners.
Their 30-Bottle wine fridge includes two distinct temperature zones and is a perfect fit for under-the-counter, built-in application.
Key Features – MOOSOO 30-Bottle Cooler
- Capacity: 30 standard size and style bottles (750 ml, Bordeaux-style).
- Number of Zones: dual, independently controlled
- Upper Zone: 41-55°F (5 – 13°C)
- Lower Zone: 54 – 64°F (12-18°C)
- Reversible glass door with safety lock & key.
- Wood shelving – 6 pull-out beech wood racks.
- Digital touch pad controls and LED display.
- Blue LED, low-intensity interior light.
- Temperature Memory Feature: when power is gone the fridge goes back to the settings that were adjusted before the power failure.
Dimensions & Weight
- Height: 33.35″
- Width: 14.97″
- Depth: 23.04″
- Weight: 85.1 lbs. (38.6 kg).
Price & Warranty
- Price: cc. 580 – 600 USD (19.3 – 20 USD per bottle).
- Warranty: 1 year parts and labor.
A unique feature of the MOOSOO wine cellar that it comes with a complimentary gift set: a corkscrew and two wine stoppers elegantly packaged in a black box.
Why Buy The MOOSOO 30-Bottle Wine Fridge?
It is a well-built unit that will look great in any home no matter whether you build it in or place it standalone.
It has numerous great features while the price is quite favorable.
- Two distinctive temperature zones that are equally sized (15 -15 bottles) and have wide enough temperature range.
- Silent operation – won’t notice it during dinner, while watching TV, or chatting with family and friends.
- Door lock – you can keep your collection closed off from children.
- Stylish appearance that will make a proud addition to any wine lover’s home.
- You will get a thoughtful gift with it – who doesn’t love free stuff?
TIP: Learn more deatils about the MOOSOO 30-bottle built-in wine cooler!
Summit 28-Bottle Wine Cellar (15″)
The Summit SWC 1530 wine cooler holds 28 bottles. This compact unit with 15″ width can be conveniently fitted in your kitchen’s cabinetry or you can place it freestanding.
It costs cc. US$ 680-700 .Vinotemp TC32-BL 32-bottle wine refrigerator for around US$ 440 (US$ 13.75 per bottle) is another good compact wine bottle cooler for built-in placement.
It’s an attractive unit with black cabinet and double pane, reversible glass door.
With the electronic temperature control you can adjust temperature in the 48ºF – 60ºF range.
You can monitor the interior temperature on the digital display.
The wire shelves can be removed to fit in wider bottles, but the cooler can accommodate max. 32 standard-sized (750 ml) bottles.
The Vinotemp TC32-BL wine refrigerator carries 1 year warranty on the compressor, the balance of the cooling system and on the cabinetry.
More Recommendations for Narrow Models
- The 15-inch wide Viking Undercounter Wine Coolers are attractive slim wine storage units.
- The Danby DWC1534BLS wine cooler has 1 temperature zone and 34 bottles storage capacity.
- Take a look at other 15-Inch Wine Cooler Refrigerators.
- See other slim wine cooler models.
24-Inch Built-In Wine Coolers
A wine cooler with 24″ width offers plenty of storage space while looking classy built-in with other applainces under the counter.
French Door Wine Coolers
Double door – also known as French door – wine fridges are extremely classy and fit nicely under a counter. Just like the Zephyr Brisas model listed above, most French door-style wine fridges measure 24″ in width.
They have two distinct temperature zones for which you can set the temperature separately.
TIP: See our list on the Best 5 French Door Wine Cooler in 2021.
Zephyr Brisas 21-Bottle French Door Wine Refrigerator
The Zephyr Brisas BWB24C32AG model not only stores wines but canned beverages (soda drinks, beer ) too. The fridge accommodates up to 64 canned drinks on flat, slide-out glass shelves.
It has dual temperature zone with a nice wide temperature range: 38 – 65°F (3 – 18°C).
This allows you to keep you reds at cool temperature – around 50°F – in one side of the cabinet while chilling soda drinks in the other.
The Zephyr Brisas 21-Bottle wine/beverage fridge comes with premium features like:
- Open Door Alarm
- Temperature Mmeory (in case of power outage).
- Tempearture Alarm
- Sabbath Mode
Key Features – Zephyr Brisas 21-Bottle/64 Can Cooler
- Capacity: 21/19 bottles of wine & 64 cans (33 oz.)
- French Door Design: 2 double layer, high-quality UV filtering glass doors with stainless steel trim and stright bar handles.
- Cooling Method: advanced compressor cooling with twin evaporators and circulation fans.
- Number of Zones: two temp. zones (38 – 65°F (3 – 18°C).
- Controls: Digital push buttons and clear LED display on each side – no-bariner to adjust temperature.
- Blue LED interior light.
- Shelving: 6 removable black metal racks with black plastic front, 3 removable tinted glass shelves for the canned drinks.
- Installation: built-in/freestanding.
Dimensions & Weight
- Height: 33.87″
- Width: 23.87″
- Depth: 23.5″
- Weight: 130 lbs.
Price & Warranty:
- Price: cc. 1 100 USD
- Warranty: 5 years on compressor, 2 years on parts, 1 year on labor.
Mid-Capacity Built-In Wine Cooler Refrigerators
The Silhouette line of Danby, a US manufacturer of household appliances incl. wine storage coolers, offers several built-in models with varying bottle count.
The Danby 50 Bottle Capacity Wine Cooler (DWC508BLS) is a great mid-sized home wine refrigerator with 1 temperature zone. It’s simple yet elegant.
- Although it’s a single zone model, it has a fairly wide temperature range (39°F – 64°F / 4 – 18ºC).
- Store reds on the top shelves where the temperature is a bit higher than at the bottom part of the cabinet, which is best for storing whites.
- You can easily set the cooler to any temperature within that range with the digital thermostat. An elegant blue screen displays the set temperature.
- The tinted, tempered door glass with the stainless steel trim lends elegance to the unit which is further enhanced by the 6 and one half size natural beechwood shelves.
More Built-In Models by Danby
The door hinge is reversible allowing you to choose the most favorable placement in your home. The door comes with lock & key set to keep your wine collection safely closed.
Besides the attractiveness of the wood shelves they have the advanatage of not scraping the labels on the bottles unlike wire racks.
The wine cooler comes with a plastic reservoir that you fill 3/4 full with water and place it in the middle of the top shelf as an attempt to maintain some kind of humidity level within the cabinet.
As a zero clearance appliance the Danby Silhouette DWC508BLS wine cellar can be used both as a freestanding and as built-in, under the counter.
- Height: 34 7/16″
- Width: 23 13/16″
- Depth: 23 11/16″
Weight: 123.5 lbs.
This wine cooler has a very nice per-bottle price making this unit one of the most cost effective mid-capacity wine refrigerators.
Price of the Danby Designer Series 50-bottle wine cooler: cc. $700 – $770 ($14 – $15.4 per bottle).
The Danby 50-bottle wine cooler has received fairly good reviews (average ratings: 4 out of 5 points).
- A few users of this model have complained that wider bottles won’t fit in due to the non-adjustable shelving.
- Another problem is that the door must be fully open to be able to pull out the shelves which extend to only 3 inches.
- A bit loud when the compressor is on.
- Other positive coments from users of this apliance include that it keeps the set temperature accurately, has a nice modern look, moderately priced.
TIPS for More Mid-Sized Wine Coolers
- The Danby 54-Bottle Dual Zone wine cellar is very elegant too.
- The Summit SWC530LBI 46-bottle wine cellar is an affordable dual-zone unit.EdgeStar 46-Bottle Wine Cooler, Model CWR460DZ – an affordable dual-zone, built-in unit with stainless steel trimmed wood shelves.
- Cavavin Urbania 46-bottle Dual-Zone Wine Cooler – avalaibale in 3 cabinet finishes.Summit SWC530LBI Wine Cooler – dual zone, stores 46 bottles on 6 slide-out wood shelves.
- Jenn-Air Wine Refrigerators and Kitchenaid Architect Series Wine Cellars offer the same features and have the same design and decor: 46 bottles capacity, mechanical thermostat, shelves with natural maple front, 24″ width and front venting for built-in use.
More Built-in Wine Coolers
- The Avanti WC1500DSS 30-bottle built-in wine cooler is a very nice looking and affordable unit for beginner wine collectors. It costs around US$ 480 – 550.
- For a 2-zone built-in unit check out the Avanti 28-bottle Dual Zone wine cellar.
- Summit also offers a range of quality undercounter, zero-clearance wine coolers most of which are certified commercial wine refrigerators.
- Take a look at Summit Built-In Wine Cooler series.
- Vinotemp also has a range of built-in wine coolers that you can easily install. The Vinotemp VT-52 or the Vinotemp VT-45 Wine Refrigerator series are both affordable, quality home wine cellars in the US$ 1000-1100 price range.
- Haier offers a wide choice in built-in wine coolers including the 31-bottle Haier wine refrigerator in the medium capacity range.
- Marvel 30 WC wine refrigerator is for those who look for a high-end wine cooler with customization options.
- The Electrolux ICON™ 48-Bottle Wine Refrigerator has 3 temperature zones.
Large and Luxury Built-In Units
There are many other 100+ bottles capacity wine cooler refrigerators for built-in placement. The 166-bottle Avanti wine refrigerator model can be placed either as freestanding or used as built-in.
Allavino, EdgeStar, KingsBottle offer attractive, 100-200 bottle models with front ventilation allowing you to either build it in flush with cabinetry or use it freestanding.
The N’FINITY line of wine cabinets (by Wine Enthusiast) offer less pricey alternatives: there are several models in the 100+ bottles capacity:
- N’FINITY 100-bottle model
- N’FINITY 121-Bottle wine Cellar
- N’FINITY 170-Bottle Wine Cabinet and
- the N’FINITY 340-bottle Wine Cabinet
- For luxury built-in home cellars check out U-Line Wine Captain Echelon and Origins Wine refrigerators.
- If you’re looking for a wine storage unit that comes closest to a natural wine cellar then learn about EuroCave Wine Cabinets.
- The Sub-zero 427 dual zone wine refrigerator is a high-end unit with around 132 bottles capacity. The Sub-Zero WS-30 is a 147-bottle wine cooler with two zones, alarm feature, Sabbath mode, and a range of design options.
- Caple Wine Refrigerators are available in both freestanding and built-in models. They are sold in the United Kingdom and other EU countries.
- For a nice beverage center check out the GE Monogram Undercounter Wine and Beverage Center