If you have medium to large collection of wines then it’s a good idea to find adequate storage place for it, preferably with ideal temperature and humidity conditions and proper racking.
Built-in wine coolers/wine refrigerators are manufactured exactly for this purposes.
They are zero-clearance appliances designed to sit flush with and fit neatly in your existing cabinetry.
The ventilation (forcing the hot air out of the cabinet interior) is in the front so you can install the appliance with its back against the wall (you still need to leave some space, cc. 1/2″ for proper air circulation).
Built-in wine coolers and wine refrigerators are availbale in various sizes from full-height, large capacity units to small undercounter wine fridges.
The smallest built-in wine coolers can hold around 18 – 28 bottles but there are large capacity units which can accommodate 100 or more bottles of wine.
To save space you can build in the wine cooler under the counter or any other suitable place in your kitchen (library, recreational room).
Slim design built-in wine coolers occupy as much space as a kitchen trash bin or garbage compactor does.They take up less room than freestanding wine coolers, however you can use most models as standalone.
You can choose from different decors to have it match with the overall design and look of your kitchen.
Larger, high-end built-in wine coolers with multiple temperature zones are rather expensive and some models require a professional to install them.
Slim, Built-In Wine Coolers
If you have only a narrow space to fit in the unit, look for a wine refrigerator with 15 inch or less width:
The Summit SWC 1530 wine cooler holds 28 bottles. This compact unit with 15″ width can be conveniently fitted in your kitchen’s cabinetry or you can place it freestanding.
It costs cc. US$ 680-700 .Vinotemp TC32-BL 32-bottle wine refrigerator for around US$ 440 (US$ 13.75 per bottle) is another good compact wine bottle cooler for built-in placement.
[GARD align=”left”]It’s an attractive unit with black cabinet and double pane, reversible glass door.
With the electronic temperature control you can adjust temperature in the 48ºF – 60ºF range.
You can monitor the interior temperature on the digital display.
The wire shelves can be removed to fit in wider bottles, but the cooler can accommodate max. 32 standard-sized (750 ml) bottles.
The Vinotemp TC32-BL wine refrigerator carries 1 year warranty on the compressor, the balance of the cooling system and on the cabinetry.
15-Inch Built-In Wine Cooler Refrigerators
15″ wide wine coolers are specifically designed to fit into existing kitchen cabinetry to prvide space-efficient wine storage solution in households.
These compact wine storage appliances come in many various designs, providing ample decor choices and, in case of higher-end models, several customization options (custom stain and finish of wood shelves, custom door frame etc.).
Recommendations for Narrow Models
- The 15-inch wide Viking Undercounter Wine Coolers are attractive slim wine storage units.
- The Danby DWC1534BLS wine cooler has 1 temperature zone and 34 bottles storage capacity.
- Take a look at other 15-Inch Wine Cooler Refrigerators.
- See other slim wine cooler models.
Mid-Capacity Built-In Wine Cooler Refrigerators
The Silhouette line of Danby, a US manufacturer of household appliances incl. wine storage coolers, offers several built-in models with varying bottle count.
The Danby 50 Bottle Capacity Wine Cooler (DWC508BLS) is a great mid-sized home wine refrigerator with 1 temperature zone. It’s simple yet elegant.
- Although it’s a single zone model, it has a fairly wide temperature range (39°F – 64°F / 4 – 18ºC).
- Store reds on the top shelves where the temperature is a bit higher than at the bottom part of the cabinet, which is best for storing whites.
- You can easily set the cooler to any temperature within that range with the digital thermostat. An elegant blue screen displays the set temperature.
- The tinted, tempered door glass with the stainless steel trim lends elegance to the unit which is further enhanced by the 6 and one half size natural beechwood shelves.
More Built-In Models by Danby
The door hinge is reversible allowing you to choose the most favorable placement in your home. The door comes with lock & key set to keep your wine collection safely closed.
Besides the attractiveness of the wood shelves they have the advanatage of not scraping the labels on the bottles unlike wire racks.
The wine cooler comes with a plastic reservoir that you fill 3/4 full with water and place it in the middle of the top shelf as an attempt to maintain some kind of humidity level within the cabinet.
As a zero clearance appliance the Danby Silhouette DWC508BLS wine cellar can be used both as a freestanding and as built-in, under the counter.
- Height: 34 7/16″
- Width: 23 13/16″
- Depth: 23 11/16″
Weight: 123.5 lbs.
This wine cooler has a very nice per-bottle price making this unit one of the most cost effective mid-capacity wine refrigerators.
Price of the Danby Designer Series 50-bottle wine cooler: cc. $700 – $770 ($14 – $15.4 per bottle).
The Danby 50-bottle wine cooler has received fairly good reviews (average ratings: 4 out of 5 points).
- A few users of this model have complained that wider bottles won’t fit in due to the non-adjustable shelving.
- Another problem is that the door must be fully open to be able to pull out the shelves which extend to only 3 inches.
- A bit loud when the compressor is on.
- Other positive coments from users of this apliance include that it keeps the set temperature accurately, has a nice modern look, moderately priced.
TIPS for More Mid-Sized Wine Coolers
- The Danby 54-Bottle Dual Zone wine cellar is very elegant too.
- The Summit SWC530LBI 46-bottle wine cellar is an affordable dual-zone unit.EdgeStar 46-Bottle Wine Cooler, Model CWR460DZ – an affordable dual-zone, built-in unit with stainless steel trimmed wood shelves.
- Cavavin Urbania 46-bottle Dual-Zone Wine Cooler – avalaibale in 3 cabinet finishes.Summit SWC530LBI Wine Cooler – dual zone, stores 46 bottles on 6 slide-out wood shelves.
- Jenn-Air Wine Refrigerators and Kitchenaid Architect Series Wine Cellars offer the same features and have the same design and decor: 46 bottles capacity, mechanical thermostat, shelves with natural maple front, 24″ width and front venting for built-in use.
More Built-in Wine Coolers
- The Avanti WC1500DSS 30-bottle built-in wine cooler is a very nice looking and affordable unit for beginner wine collectors. It costs around US$ 480 – 550.
- For a 2-zone built-in unit check out the Avanti 28-bottle Dual Zone wine cellar.
- Summit also offers a range of quality undercounter, zero-clearance wine coolers most of which are certified commercial wine refrigerators.
- Take a look at Summit Built-In Wine Cooler series.
- Vinotemp also has a range of built-in wine coolers that you can easily install. The Vinotemp VT-52 or the Vinotemp VT-45 Wine Refrigerator series are both affordable, quality home wine cellars in the US$ 1000-1100 price range.
- Haier offers a wide choice in built-in wine coolers including the 31-bottle Haier wine refrigerator in the medium capacity range.
- Marvel 30 WC wine refrigerator is for those who look for a high-end wine cooler with customization options.
- The Electrolux ICON™ 48-Bottle Wine Refrigerator has 3 temperature zones.
Large and Luxury Built-In Units
There are many other 100+ bottles capacity wine cooler refrigerators for built-in placement. The 166-bottle Avanti wine refrigerator model can be placed either as freestanding or used as built-in.
Allavino, EdgeStar, KingsBottle offer attractive, 100-200 bottle models with front ventilation allowing you to either build it in flush with cabinetry or use it freestanding.
The N’FINITY line of wine cabinets (by Wine Enthusiast) offer less pricey alternatives: there are several models in the 100+ bottles capacity:
- the N’FINITY 100-bottle model
- the N’FINITY 170-Bottle Wine Cabinet and
- For luxury built-in home cellars check out U-Line Wine Captain Echelon and Origins Wine refrigerators.
- If you’re looking for a wine storage unit that comes closest to a natural wine cellar then learn about EuroCave Wine Cabinets.
- The Sub-zero 427 dual zone wine refrigerator is a high-end unit with around 132 bottles capacity. The Sub-Zero WS-30 is a 147-bottle wine cooler with two zones, alarm feature, Sabbath mode, and a range of design options.
- Caple Wine Refrigerators are available in both freestanding and built-in models. They are sold in the United Kingdom and other EU countries.
- For a nice beverage center check out the GE Monogram Undercounter Wine and Beverage Center