Last updated on April 11th, 2021 at 03:26 pm
What are dual zone wine cooler refrigerators and why would you consider buying one?
If you’re a serious wine drinker (considering quality not quantity) then you know that red and white wines are perfect for consumption at different temperatures.
- Best Small Dual Zone Wine Coolers (12-30 Bottles):
- Mid-Size Dual-Zone Wine Coolers (30-50 Bottles)
- Large Two-Zone Wine Refrigerators
- Thermoelectric Dual-Zone Wine Chillers
When to Buy a Dual-Zone Wine Fridge?
If you love both reds and whites then you might need a dual zone wine refrigerator in order to cool them to drinking temperatures most favourable for both wine types.
Most red wines taste the best at 50 – 64°F, while the majority of white wines require cooler drinking temperature (41 – 50°F) to fully appreciate their flavour.
You should get a a dual temperature zone wine cooler if you want to
- store reds at around 55°F in one of the two compartments, and
- to chill whites to serving temperature in the other zone.
A dual zone wine cooler comes handy if you often have guests and you want to have ready-to-serve serve wine at temperature perfect for consumption.
Kept at the right temperature, your wines will preserve their natural flavour and aroma for a longer period of time.
Independent Temperature Controls
2-temperature-zone wine coolers have separate temperature controls and displays for each zone.
You simply set the desired temperature for the whites in one of the two compartments, and adjust the suitable temperature for reds in the other compartment.
But if you’re looking for a simple wine storage solution then a single zone wine cooler will be a more cheaper and reasonable choice.
French Door Design – True Dual Zone
French Door – or side-by-side- wine refrigerators offer two independent sections, both with their own control and display.
So if truly separate sections are important to you then consider buying a French door wine cooler.
EdgeStar/Koldfront has a range of wine refrigerators with two temperature zones,but other manufacturers like Wine Enthusiast, Koolatron, Ivation, Kalamera, NewAir also offer 2-zone wine storage units.
Many wine coolers, however don’t have two distinctive temperature zones. So make sure you check this feature when you compare wine coolers
Best Small Dual Zone Wine Coolers 2021
The smallest capacity wine coolers with two temperature zones are 12 – 28- bottle units.
Koolatron 12-Bottle Dual Zone Wine Cooler
The Koolatron WC12DZ is a slim, small footprint model that sells for around 200 USD. Both zones have space for 6 – 6 bottles.
- Capacity: 12 bottles
- Look & Style: Black cabinet with black trimmed tinted glass door. Double pane glass for excellent insulation.
- Door Handle: recessed
- Hinging: right (cannot be reversed).
- Cooling Method: Thermoelectric cooling
- Upper Zone – holds 6 bottles: 54 – 66°F (12 – 18°C): perfect for red wines,
- Lower Zone: accommodates 6 bottles: 42 – 66°F (5 – 18°C) – you can chill whites/sparkling wine here.
- Temperature Control: Digital touch buttons to set the temp. for both zones
- Interior light – muted LED light (just tap the Light Bulb button on the control screen to switch it on/off)
- Shelving: 4 removable wire shelves – hold average size, 750 ml bottles
- Noise Level: Low noise – the fridge will emit some hu,mming noise, but it isn’t distrubing.
- Defrost: manual defrost – you have to unplug the unit and remove all the bottles.
- Energy Use: 235 kWh/year.
- Placement: Freestanding installation only
- Height: 26″
- Width: 10″
- Depth: 20.25″
- Weight: 29.78 lbs.
Price & Warranty
- Price: cc. 192 – 200 USD (16 – 16.7 USD per bottle).
- Warranty: 90 days manufacturer warranty on parts and labor.
What Users Say?
According to some owners the Koolatron WC12DZ is not a true dual zone cooler: they set the upper part to 65°F but it’s 55°F , while the lower part was set to 50°F and the display shows 54°F.
Others love the small footprint and quiet operation. Few experienced early failure.
All in all, the Koolatron WC12DZ is an affordable, small wine chiller with space saving design.
Wine Enthusiast 18 Bottle Dual-Zone Max
It’s a compressor operated cooler with split temperature zones. Store reds in the bottom zone to let them reach their full potential after several years and keep whites and roses at serving temp. in the upper zone.
Just press the buttons on the digital control panel on the top of the door to adjust temperature for both zones. Alternatively, you can set the two parts to the same temperature to use it as a single zone cellar.
- Black cabinet with black trimmed, double thermal pane glass door
- Door is non-reversible and has an integrated handle.
- Temperature range (for both zones): 41° – 64°F (5 – 17.7°C)
- Temperature display in blue LED on the front of the door. Buttons for setting the temperature you want the fridge to cool to are also here.
- 5 curved, chrome plated metal shelves, and 1 stationery shelf at the bottom. It’s slightly tilted to better display the bottles.
- Efficient, long-lasting compressor cooling
- Recommended for freestanding installation. Ventilates at the back so it is not suitable for building it into cabinets, or putting it under a counter with not enough cearance.
- Height: 32.75″
- Width: 13.75″
- Depth: 19″
- Weight: 50 lbs.
Price & Warranty
- Price: cc. 350 USD (19.4 USD per bottle)
- Warranty: 1 year parts & labor, 3 years on sealed system
What Users Say?
Most owners are satisfied their Wine Enthusiast 18-Bottle Dual Zone Max cooler. It keeps stable temperatures, attractive and easy to set up.
Quite a few people complained that the fridge is noisy.
See other 18-bottle wine coolers.
Antarctic Star 28-Bottle Dual-Zone Wine Cooler
This is an elegant wine chiller with brushed, stainless steel framed glass door. the is dual layer for max. thermal insulation.
The slight tint of the glass protects your wines from UV light.
The door has a long, sturdy stainless steel bar handle: 17″ (45 cm).
- Compressor cooling with fan air circulation ensures efficient yet fairly silent operation and consistent temperatures.
- Door opens to the right and hinging is not reversible.
- Security lock so you can keep your collection safe from unwanted access (e.g. children)
- Upper zone: 41° – 54°F (5 – 12°C) : ideal for whites, roses, Lower Zone: 54° – 68°F (12 – 20°C) best for storing reds.
- Simple temp. setting by a press of the +/- buttons.
- Auto lock temperature setting: the set temperatures will be locked after 3 min non-activity on the control pad. No worrying about an accidental change. You can unlock the controls by pressing the +/- buttons simultaneously.
- 6 gliding beechwood shelves, unpainted, hold the bottles. There is enough vertical space between the shelves that you can place wider bottles on them.
- Plesant blue LED lighting inside the cabinet – stylishly shows off the bottles.
- Narrow design suitable for built-in installation under the counter. But it is an attractive appliance that looks good freestanding too.
- Noise level: 42 dBA
- Power usage: 70 watts
- Height: 34.25″
- Width: 14.96″
- Depth: 22.75″
- Weight: 88.2 lbs.
Price & Warranty:
- Price: cc. 530 USD (cc. 18.9 USD per bottle).
- Warranty: 1 year manufacturer warranty and 1 month replacement and refund.
What Users Say?
Many owners have praised the stylish look, easy set up, and stable temperatures in both zones of the wine cooler.
Major complaints include: poorly written instruction manual, the fan turns on too often.
Some mentioned that the auto lock temp. setting feature (the control pad locks up if left untouched for a few minues) as an inconvenience.
Overall, the Antarctic 28-Bottle Dual Zone Wine Cooler is one the best in its category. At a reasonable price it boasts premium design that goes well with any decor.
TYLZA 30-Bottle Built-In Wine Cooler
The China-based brand, TYLZA, offers moderatley-priced, quality wine & beverage coolers.
The smallest model has space for 30 bottles of wine in two independent temperature sections.
It has front ventilation and is ready for built-in installation. With its 15″ width it fits under a counter or kitchen island and blends well with other appliances.
Main Features – TYLZA 30-Bottle Model
- Capacity: 30 standard size & style bottles, placed cross-wise
- Black cabinet with stainless steel-trimmed double layer glass door.
- Door has safety lock with 2 keys.
- 6 detachable, sliding wood shelves. They are unpainted.
- Top Zone Range: 40 – 55°F (5 – 13°C).
- Bottom Zone Range: 55 – 65°F (12-18°C)
- Touch pad buttons on the control panel divding the two parts.
- Blue LED interior illumination.
- Noise Level: 38 dBA
- Built-In or Freestanding Installation.
- 4 leveling legs.
Dimenions & Weight
- Height: 33.3″
- Width: 15″
- Depth: 23″
- Weight: 77 lbs (35 kg).
Price & Warranty
- Price: cc. 460 – 510 USD (15.33 – 17 USD per bottle).
- Warranty period: 1 year parts and labor. 30 days return.
What Owners Say About the Tylza 30-Bottle Cellar?
The vast majority of users are very satisfied with their choice. The fridge is very quiet, it maintains the set temperatures and looks smart with the unique design of the stainless steel exhaust plate.
At around 500 USD it’s a very good buy compared to similar size units.
Schmecke 33-Bottle Dual Zone Wine Cellar
It’s a generously-sized black wine cooler designed for freestanding installation. Holds 33 standard height and width bottles.
Looks great especially with the affordable price tag (cc. 370 USD or less).
- Compressor cooling with fan-assited air circulation: constant tempeatures, stable storage environment for your wines.
- Digital press button controls for both zones. After setting the desired temperature just touch the “lock” icon to freeze the settings.
- Easy to see LCD display shows the current temperatures.
- Top Zone: 54 – 64°F (12 – 17.7°C): suited for storing reds, Bottom Zone: 41 – 57°F (5 – 13.9°C): good for chilling whites and sparkling wines.
- Double layer, thermopane glass door with black trim and recessed handle. Door glass is tinted to filter UV rays.
- Door can be locked, comes with 2 keys.
- Removable chromed metal racks hold the wine bottles. To make room for wide, larger bottles just pull out a shelf.
- White LED interior light shows off the wines nicely.
- Height: 33.4″
- Width: 19.4″
- Depth: 16.9″
Price & Warranty:
- Price: cc. 370 USD (11.2 USD per bottle)
- Warranty: 1 year limited manufaturer warranty.
What Users Say?
Most owners are very satisfied with their purchase. According to reviews, the Schmecke 33 bottle wine cellar cools to, and holds the set temps.
It’s silent and a great, affordable addition to any wine lover’s home.
- Popular 30-bottle wine cellars (mainly single zone models).
French Door Model-Zephyr Brisas 21-Bottle Wine & Beverage Cooler
If ou are looking for a versatile wine storage unit then consider the the Zephyr Brisas BWB24C32AG wine & beverage center.
It has premium features at an unresistably favorable price (cc. 1 100 USD).
What’s more, the unit is equipped with some serious technical properties that you will find only in high-end wine fridges, including
- Temperature Memory Function
- Open Door Alarm
- Sabbath Mode
- Temperature Alarm
- Capacity: 21/19 Bottles of wine (depends on storage configuration) c 64 canned beverages
- Cooling Method: silent compressor technology with dual evaporator and air circulation fan system
- Temperature Range: 38 – 65°F (3 – 18°C) in both sections. Can be set independently.
- Controls & Display: digital touch buttons and clear LED display for each zone.
- Installation: built-in/freestanding
- Noise Level: 40 dBA.
Dimensions & Weight
- Height: 33.87″
- Width: 23.87″
- Depth: 23.5″
- Weight: 130 lbs. (59 kg).
Price & Warranty
- Price. cc. 1 100 USD
- Warranty: 5 yrs on compressor, 2 yrs on parts, 1 year on labor.
Medium Size Dual Zone Wine Chillers
46-Bottle, Dual Zone Avanti Wine Cooler
This medium-capacity wine refrigerator by Avanti can be used as built-in or as freestanding.
The upper temperature zone can hold 32 bottles of red wine while you can chill 14 bottles of white or sparkling wine in the lower compartment on wooden shelves that are fitted with rollerr-assembly for easy pull-out (except for the bottom shelf) and to be able to remove them.
Temperature adjustment for the two zones is simple with the touch-pad digital control panel integrated in the top part of the unit.
Each of the two compartments has its own control buttons: the lower zone’s control is on the right-hand side and you can set temperature for the upper part with the touch buttons on the left.
You can also select temperature to be displayed either in Fahrenheit or in Celsius degrees.
In the upper compartment you’re recommended to store red wines for which you can set the temperature between 55°F – 65°F.
The lower zone is for chillig whites and sparkling wines to serving temperature. Here you can adjust temperature in the 40°F – 55°F range. If you drink mostly whites you can store them in the upper zone.
Price & Warranty
- cc. 700 – 800 USD (15.22 – 17.4 USD per bottle).
TIP: Read a full review on the Avanti 46-Bottle wine cooler.
Similar Home Wine Cellars
- The Summit SWC530LBI wine cooler holds 46 bottles of wine in 2 temp. zones.
- The EdgeStar 46-bottle Dual-Zone Wine Refrigerator holds approx. 44-46 bottles in its two zones.
- The Magic Chef MCWC44DZ is a cheap 44-bottle wine cooler with two separate zones, each with its own controls.
TIP: Take a look at Danby 2-Zone wine cooler models.
- The Electrolux ICON™ Professional 48-bottle wine cooler offers 3 independent temperature zones.
- The VT-45 Series Vinotemp Wine coolers can accommodate up to 45 bottles of wine in two temperature zones.
- Jenn-Air Wine Cellars and Kitchenaid Wine Coolers look the same and have the same features: 46 bottles capacity, mechanical thermostat, glide-out shelves with unstained maple fronts – no true dual zone units because temp. cannot be independly set for the two zones.
- The Cavavin Urbania 46-bottle wine cooler also has space for up to 46 bottles of wine in two independent temperature zones.
- The 48-Bottle Wine Enthusiast Wine Refrigerator is an affordable 2-Zone wine cooler.
When you grow out your mid-sized home wine cooler and you look for a more capacious wine storage unit (100+ bottles) then it’s best to choose a dual temperature zone wine refrigerator so that you have space and flexible storage solution for a wide variety of wines.
- Take a look at some popular 100-bottle wine cooler rerfigerators with 2 temperature zones.
- Read review of Sub Zero 427 Dual zone wine cellar models that hold cc. 132 bottles of wine.
- The Liebherr WS 14300 Wine Cabinet has 3 temperature zones, and 143 bottle capacity. For an even larger wine cellar model check out the 155-Bottle Dual-Zone Avanti Wine Cooler.
- The Cavavin Urbania 149-Bottle wine cooler is a good-value unit.
More Dual Temperature Zone Wine Cellars
- Compare Marvel vs. U-Line Dual Zone Wine Refrigerators.
- Avanti Dual Zone Wine Refrigerators – affordable wine storage units with 2 temperature zones in various capacities.
- In the lower capacity range Sunpentown has a 28-bottle wine refrigerator with two zones.
- A more affordable option (cc. $400 – $500) is the EdgeStar 32-bottle Dual-Zone wine cooler.
- The U-Line 2-Zone Wine Refrigerator has two drawers and clean, sophisticated design.
- The Summit 80-bottle wine refrigerator (model SWC1545) is also a very good dual zone wine cooler.
- Sub-Zero also offers a wide choice in Two-Zone Wine Coolers.
- Eurocave wine cellars are top-notch wine storage and cooling appliances with versatile technical features and wide options in design. Besides 2-temperature zone units, they offer multiple-zone wine cabinets, as well.
- Made in the United Kingdom, Caple Wine Refrigerators include models with 2 temperature zones at affordable prices.
If you’re looking for an eco-friendly 2-zone home wine cellar then consider buying a thermoelectric (also known as Peltrier) unit which doesn’t contain compressor and cooling agent.
TIP: Read more about the benefits of thermoelectric wine refrigerators.
- Most Vinotemp 2-Zone Wine Refrigerator Models are thermoelectric units.
- The EdgeStar TWR320ESS Thermoelectric Wine Cooler is a freestanding dual zone model with 32 bottle storage capacity.
- The Avanti EWC18DZ is a Two-Zone Thermoelectric Wine Cooler that stores up to 18 bottles of wine.
- The NewAir Thermoelectric Wine Chiller line includes two dual-zone models: the 21-bottle NewAir AW-211ED and the 32-bottle NewAir AW-320ED model.