Good-Value Cooler with Lock
The EdgeStar 30-bottle wine cooler is a splendid, single zone model with lockable door and designed for built-in placement.
With its narrow, 15-inch width it fits nicely in the place of a kitchen trash compactor under the counter.
Read Full Review
Look and Style:
- The EdgeStar 30 bottle wine refrigerator is a good-looking appliance with its black cabinet, wood fronted, slide-out metal shelves and the stainless steel framed glass door tinted with black dots.
- The door handle can be mounted with a few screws (included with the appl.) either on the right or left hand side of the door.
- The blue interior light displays the wine bottles nicely without generating much heat.
- The wine fridge is equipped with carbon air filter that should be replaced in every 3-6 months depending how dusty or odorous the air is ( if the fridge is in the kitchen with lots of cooking going on then a 3-month replacement period is recommended to ensure clean, odorless air inside the cabinet.
Slide-out metal racks with natural wood trim in the front hold the bottles.
6 larger metal shelves and 1 smaller shelf: each one can hold 5 bottles (regular size, Bordeaux style):
- 3 with the neck facing out 2 with the neck facing in.
You can completely remove each shelf should you wish to make room for larger, odd shape bottles or champagnes.
- Nice, contemporary look with wood fronted shelves.
- Fairly noiseless (except for a low humming noise) – Noise Level: 42 dBA
- Safety lock on door – keep your collection of wine secure.
- Built-in or freestanding placement – fully finished cabinet with front exhaust grille. Looks excellent both integrated with other appliances or placed standalone.
- Capacity: 30 bottles – standard size (750 ml), Bordeaux-style bottles
- Cabinet: black, black interior, ventilates in the front
- Door: insulated, double pane glass with attractive stainless steel trim, tinted to block out UV rays
- air filter to provide fresh, odor-free air:
- tight rubber seal with magnetic insert, reversible hinging – can be installed to swing to either right or left
- soft blue LED interior lighting
- Cooling method: compressor with auto defrost, equipped with rubber vibration dampener to reduce noise and vibration
- Number of zones: one
- Built-in/Freestanding: built-in or freestanding, ETL certified
- Temperature Control & Display:
- Thermostat: adjustable electronic thermostat, blue LED display integrated into the top door frame of the cabinet interior
- two displays: one shows the Set Temp. the other the Current Temp.
- Temperature Range: 40 – 65°F (5 – 18 °C)
- Shelving: 6 full-size, glide-out metal shelves with elegant natural wood trim + 1 smaller slide-out shelf (metal with wood front).
- Noise: rated to 42 dBA. Makes a slight humming noise which is standard with all compressor-operated fridges
- Electricity consumption: 115 Watts (cc. 2,76 kWh/24 hours)
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 32″ x 15″ x 25 3/4″ w. handle)
- Weight: 83 lbs. (37 kg).
Setting the Temperature
The temp. range of the cooler is from 40 to 65°F which is pretty wide, allowing to set low temperatures to chill whites and sparkling wines.
You can set the temperature by pressing the Up and Down arrows on the electronic control panel. One press increases or reduces the temp. by 1 degree.
You can also switch to Fahrenheit to Celsius display and back: to do that press and hold the Up and Down arrows simultaneously for cc. 5 seconds.
There is also a button to turn on and off the soft interior lighting. The Run light on the left of the control panel indicates whether the cooler is running.
Press and hold the Power button for approx. 3 seconds if you want to shut the unit off.
Placement & Installation:
The wine cooler is delivered fully assembled except the stainless steel bar handle that you can screw in on either side of the door.
The refrigerator plugs into standard 3-prong electric outlet (proper grounding that meets the requirements of National Electrical Code and any local codes is required): 115 VAC, 60 Hz.
Before installing and plugging in the wine cooler, let it stand upright for approx. 24 hours to allow the compressor oil and refrigerant to settle.
You can use it freestanding or built-in on a strong, even flooring that can hold the unit even fully stocked. Leave space for ventilation at the back and the sides even if you use it as freestanding.
In case you build it in existing furniture, make sure to leave enough space at the back (cc. 2/5″) and around the sides (cc. 1/5″) for adequate ventilation. Do not install it in a fully closed cabinet, behind a door.
Adjust level placement by turning the front legs
- turn right to raise a side, or
- left to lower it.
Price & Warranty
- Price: cc. 600 – 620 USD (20 – 20.7 USD/bottle)
- Warranty: 1 year parts and labor
Dimensions & Weight:
- Height: 32″
- Width: 15″
- Depth: without handle: 23 3/4″, with handle: 25 3/4″
- Weight: 83 lbs. (37 kg).
User Reviews – EdgeStar 30-Bottle Wine Refrigerator
Some of the most frequent comments owners of this wine frdge have reported on Amazon and other websites.
- Maintains set temperature.
- Quiet (some say it make some noise but it is at acceptable level).
- Great value for the price.
- One of the best units in this price range ($500 – $600).
- Shelving is tightly spaced, labels might get scratched when removing a bottle.
- Doesn’t hold the advertised 30 bottles.
- Door lock is a bit flimsy.
Summary – Why Buy/Not Buy?
The Edgestar 30-bottle built-in wine refrigerator is a great buy at the cc. 600 USD price point.
Even if it is hard to stock it up to the advertised 30 bottle capacity, it provides proper storage for approx. 20-25 bottles.
Attractive in design and functions pretty well. Not noisy, as many other similar wine storage coolers are.
A perfect fit for starting-out wine collectors who don’t want to spend thousands on a high-end wine cabinet.
TIP 01: The TYLZA 30-Bottle Wine Refrigerator has two distinct temperature sections, can be built in (needs a 15″ wide slot), and has a range of great features at a very nice price: cc. 550 – 599 USD.
TIP 02: The Kalamera 30-bottle wine fridge looks and works the same as the Edgestar model. It has temperature memory feature, operates pretty silent and costs nearly the same.
TIP 03: The Smith & Hanks 30 – 32 bottle Dual-Zone Wine Cooler is also a great alternative for around the same price as the EdgeStar model.
TIP 04: The MOOSOO 30-Bottle wine cooler offers dual temperature zones for around the same price (or less). Has lockable door, wood shelves, and you can build it in under a counter.
TIP 05: For a slightly more capacious unit for the same $/bottle price, check out the KingsBottle 50-Bottle Wine Refrigerator.