The Kalamera 46-Bottle Dual-Zone wine cooler is an elegant, generously-sized model, designed for built-in/freestanding placement.
Read on to find out about its features, pros & cons, and why we think it’s a good choice if you are looking to buy a 2-zone home cellar!
Kalamera 46-Bottle Wine Cooler (KRC-46DZB)
Capacity: cc. 46 bottles (750 ml, Bordeaux style)
Cooling Type: Compressor with fan-circulated air-cooling
Zones: Dual Temperature Zone: Top ( 16 bottles of white wine): 41 – 54 ºF (5 – 12 ºC), Bottom (30 bottles of red wine): 54 – 64 ºF (12 – 18 ºC)
Placement: Built-In/Freestanding (24 ” width)
Dimensions: H: 33″ W: 23.4″ D: 22.4″
Place Of Manufacture: China (in accordance with U. S. ETL/UL standards).
Price: cc. 800 – 850 USD (cc. 17.7 – 18.9 USD/bottle).
Good-value for the price
Appealing look and design
Not too loud (less than 43 dBA)
Reversible door hinge
Simple to set up and operate
White wine storage space is smaller (16 bottles) than that of reds (30 bottles)
Table of Contents
The fridge has space for 30-46 bottles of wine, depending on bottle size and shape. According to the manufacturer, capacity is based on bottles that measure 2.75″ in diameter, and 11.8″ in height.
What’s more, it has dual temperature sections to keep whites and reds at their most suitable temperature.
If you are picky about the wines you buy and drink, you might want to keep them in a dedicated wine fridge to preserve the flavours. The Kalamera KRC-46DZB will do just that in an attractive package!
Kalamera is a Chinese-origin brand that has headquarters in the US (California). They sell wine coolers available in various sizes and decor.
The brand has become quite popular over the past couple of years, due to their
- Affordable prices,
- Attractive look and design,
- Reliable operation,
- A nice selection in models regarding capacity, number of zones and installation,
- Most models can be built-in cabinetry/under the counter.
Look and Style
The Kalamera KRC-46DZB boasts a refined look. The matte black cabinet has a sturdy, double pane glass door. The stainless steel trim goes well with the black cabinet.
The door glass is grey tinted to block UV rays that can spoil the wine’s color and flavour profile. The tint, however, doesn’t obstruct a good view inside the cabinet.
Furthermore, you can turn on the blue LED interior light to provide an even greater view of the stored bottles..
The door opens to the left but it can be reversed. The handle is a solid stainless steel bar ensuring a secure grip when opening the magnetically sealed door.
The wine fridge can be locked should you wish to keep your collection away from children for example.
The cabinet is 24″ wide, and since its vents in the front (through the slits at the bottom in the front), it is perfect for built-in use. You can place it under the counter and it will fit seamlessly with the other furnishing/appliances.
Note: If you build it in please note that the power cord is in the back, so whenever you want to unplug the cooler you have to pull it forward to get to the cord.
Alternatively, you can place it as freestanding too. The wine cooler is fully finished and well crafted, so it will look great in any home setting.
Make sure you wait 2 hours before plugging the cooler in. Just place the fridge in upright position to let the compressor oil settle.
Level the cooler with the two adjustable legs in the front!
Shelving – More Space for Red Wines
Five roll-out natural beech wood shelves hold the bottles:
- 2 in the upper zone – this is for whites and sparkling wine (see temperature ranges and setting below). You can place here 16 standard-size bottles.
- 3 in the lower zone – for red wines – has space for 30 bottle altogether,
Shelves extend cc. 8″ when you pull them out to put in or take out bottles.
A stopper at the back of the shelves prevents accidents of pulling a shelf out too far.
The door opens to more than 90 degrees, so you’ll have enough space to fully extend the shelves.
Note: The bottom zone – for storing reds – has more storage space for bottles. So if you prefer whites, the Kalamera 46-Bottle fridge might not be for you.
Setting the Temperature
Adjusting the temperature for the two zones is pretty straightforward. Just press the appropriate buttons on the LCD control panel, located between the red and white wine zones:
- Upper zone (whites, sparkling): press the UP & DOWN arrows on the left side! This will change the temperature by 1 degree between: 40 – 50°F (5 – 10°C).
- Lower zone (reds): press the UP & DOWN arrows on the right side! One press adjusts the temperature by 1 degree in the range of 50 – 66°F (10 – 18.8°C).
- To switch between Fahrenheit to Celsius display or vice versa, press the °C/°F button on the left side.
- You will find the interior light switch on the right side of the LCD panel.
Features At A Glance – Kalamera KRC-46DZB
- Capacity: 46 standard size and shape bottles
- Cooling Method: Compressor with two internal fans for even air circulation.
- Number of Zones: Two independently controlled temperature sections.
- Temperature Range: Upper Zone (for whites): 40 – 50°F (5 – 10°C), Lower Zone (for reds): 50 – 66°F (10 – 18.8°C).
- Temperature Control & Display: Digital thermostat with push button controls, blue LED display .
- Cabinet: Black with stainless steel front grille.
- Door: Double pane, tempered, gray tinted glass door with sturdy, slightly arched stainless steel handle. Has stainless steel trim.
- Door Opening Direction: Swings to the left but can be reversed.
- Door Lock: Security lock with key.
- Interior Light: Soft blue LED lighting.
- Built-in/Freestanding: Built in, fully finished, so can be used as free-standing too.
- Shelving: 5 roll-out beech wood shelves with stoppers, can be fully removed. 2 in the top zone, 3 in the bottom.
- Noise: Fairly quiet. Rated at 42 dBA.
- Electricity Consumption: 0.51 kWh/24 hrs.
What’s To Like?
- Great capacity (just stick to ordinary size bottles)
- Cools to the set temps., holds temperature well
- Not loud
- Modern, elegant look
- Easy to set up and use
- Has a safety lock
- Door opening is reversible
- Great price compared to similar size wine coolers
Dimensions & Weight
- Height: 33″
- Width: 23.4″
- Depth: 22.4″ (without handle)
- Weight: 104,5 lbs (47 kg).
Suggested Built-In Dimensions
- Height: 33.2″
- Width: 23.8″
- Depth: 22.4″
Price & Warranty
- Price: cc. 800 – 850 USD (cc. 17.4 – 18.5 USD/bottle – if stocked fully up to 46 bottles).
- Warranty: 1 year limited (parts and labor).
What Owners Say About The Kalamera 46-Bottle Wine Fridge?
Most people who purchased the cooler are satisfied with it. According to reviews it maintains temperature quite well in both zones (some experienced up to 5 degrees fluctuation). It doesn’t make much noise if leveled properly, although some owners did mention that they’d thought the wine fridge would be quieter.
The craftmanship and features usually met with the expectations in this price category.
The main issue with the fridge noted by users is that it will not hold 46 bottles more like 40 – 41 bottles (Bordeaux type, 750 ml.
Overall the Kalamera KRC-46DZB is an good/average quality unit in the category of below 1 000 USD twin zone wine coolers.
All in all, the Kalamera 46-Bottle wine fridge will be a pride in any wine connoisseur’s kitchen/living room etc. A superb choice if you are looking for a reliable, moderately priced wine storage with 40+ bottles capacity and dual zone feature.
Check Price & Reviews
Note: When you buy through links to Amazon placed on our site we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
TIP: See also the manufacturer’s website for more information and other wine storage options.
- TYLZA 46-Bottle Dual-Zone Wine Cooler – a moderately priced built-in model with lockable door, temperature memory and appealing look.
- NewAir 46 Bottle Dual Zone Wine Fridge – An older model but very similar to the Kalamera 46-bottle unit. It costs roughly the same – cc. 800 – 830 USD – as the Kalamera 46-Bottle cooler.
- Kingsbottle 50-Bottle Wine Refrigerator – It’s more like a 46-bottle unit (the manufacturer now sells it as a 46 bottle model, it used to be rated as 50 bottles capacity. It’s a bit pricier than the above 2 fridges though 8above 1 000 USD).
- Wine Refrigerators with 40-50 Bottles Capacity
- Other popular Kalamera wine cooler models – a roundup of the best-selling Kalamera wine fridges based on capacity, number of zones, and placement.
- See other good-quality dual temperature zone wine fridges!