Last updated on February 17th, 2021 at 09:34 am
The Kalamera 45-Bottle Dual-Zone wine cooler is an elegant, generously-sized model, designed for built-in/freestanding placement.
Read on to find out about its features, pros & cons, and why we think it’s a great choice if you are looking to buy a 2-zone home cellar!
Quick Links: About the Brand – Quick Specs – Features in Detail – Pros & Cons – Look & Style – Temperature Setting – Shelving – Placement – What Owners Say? – Who Should Buy? – Similar Units/Alternatives
The fridge has space for 30-45 bottles of wine, depending on bottle size and shape. According to the manufacturer, capacity is based on bottles that measure 2.75″ in diameter, and 11.8″ in height.
What’s more, it has dual temperature sections to keep whites and reds at their most suitable temperature.
If you are picky about the wines you buy and drink, you might want to keep them in a dedicated wine fridge to preserve the flavours. The Kalamera KRC-46DZB will do just that in an attractive package!
Model: Kalamera 45-Bottle Dual-Zone Wine Cooler, KRC-46DZB
Cooling Type: Compressor
Installation: Built-In/Freestanding (24 ” width). Door swings to the left.
Rating: 4.3/5 (Owners’ Ratings on Amazon).
Price: cc. 800 – 850 USD (cc. 17.7 – 18.9 USD/bottle).
Kalamera is a Chinese-origin brand that has headquarters in the US (California). They sell wine coolers available in various sizes and decor.
The brand has become quite popular over the past couple of years, due to their
- Affordable prices,
- Attractive look and design,
- Reliable operation,
- A nice selection in models regarding capacity, number of zones and installation,
- Most models can be built-in cabinetry/under the counter.
- Great capacity (just stick to ordinary size bottles)
- Cools to the set temps., holds tempearture well
- Not loud
- Modern, elegant look
- Easy to set up and use
- Has a safety lock
- Door opening is reversible
- Great price compared to similar size wine coolers
- Might not be able to fill it up with 45 bottles, especially if you have non-standard size/shape bottles
- Interior light doesn’t switch off by itself (light switch is on the right side of the touch screen control panel).
Look and Style
The Kalamera KRC-46DZB boasts a refined look. The matte black cabinet has a sturdy, double pane glass door. The stainless steel trim goes well with the black cabinet.
The door glass is grey tinted to block UV rays that can spoil the wine’s color and flavour profile. The tint, however, doesn’t obstruct a good view inside the cabinet.
Furthermore, you can turn on the blue LED interior light to provide an even greater view of the stored bottles..
The door opens to the left but it can be reversed. The handle is a solid stainles steel bar ensuring a secure grip when opening the magnetically sealed door.
The wine fridge can be locked should you wish to keep your collection away from children for example.
The cabinet is 24″ wide, and since its vents in the front (through the slits at the bottom in the front), it is perfect for built-in use. You can place it under the counter and it will fit seamlessly with the other furnishing/appliances.
Note: If you build it in please note that the power cord is in the back, so whenever you want to unplug the cooler you have to pull it forward to get to the cord.
Alternatively, you can place it as freestanding too. The wine cooler is fully finished and well crafted, so it will look great in any home setting.
Make sure you wait 2 hours before plugging the cooler in. Just place the fridge in upright position to let the compressor oil settle.
Level the cooler with the two adjustable legs in the front!
Shelving – More Space for Red Wines
Five roll-out natural beech wood shelves hold the bottles:
- 2 in the upper zone – this is for whites and sparkling wine (see temperature ranges and setting below),
- 3 in the lower zone – for red wines.
Shelves extend cc. 8″ when you pull them out to put in or take out bottles.
A stopper at the back of the shelves prevents accidents of pulling a shelf out too far.
The door opens to more than 90 degrees, so you’ll have enough space to fully extend the shelves.
Note: The bottom zone – for storing reds – has more storage space for bottles. So if you prefer whites, the Kalamera 45-Bottle fridge might not be for you.
Setting the Temperature
Adjusting the temperature for the two zones is pretty straightforward. Just press the appropriate buttons on the LCD control panel, located between the red and white wine zones:
- Upper zone (whites, sparkling): press the UP & DOWN arrows on the left side! This will change the temperature by 1 degree between: 40 – 50°F (5 – 10°C).
- Lower zone (reds): press the UP & DOWN arrows on the right side! One press adjusts the temperature by 1 degree in the range of 50 – 66°F (10 – 18.8°C).
- To switch between Fahrenheit to Celsius display or vice versa, press the °C/°F button on the left side.
- You will find the interior light switch on the right side of the LCD panel.
Features At A Glance – KRC-46DZB
- Capacity: 45 standard size and shape bottles
- Cabinet: black with stainless steel front grille
- Door: double pane, tempered, gray tinted glass door
- Has stainless steel trim
- Swings to the left but can be reversed
- Sturdy, slightly arched stainless steel handle
- Lock with key
- Reversible hinging
- Soft blue LED interior lighting.
- Cooling method: compressor with two internal fans for even air circulation.
- Number of zones: two.
- Built-in/Freestanding: built in, fully finished so can be used as free-standing.
- Temperature Control & Display: digital thermostat with push button controls, blue LED display .
- Temperature Range: upper zone (for whites): 40 – 50°F (5 – 10°C), lower zone (for reds): 50 – 66°F (10 – 18.8°C).
- Shelving: 5 roll-out beech wood shelves with stoppers, can be fully removed.
- Noise: fairly quiet.
- Electricity consumption: 0.51 kWh/24 hrs.
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 33″ x 23.4″ x 22.4″)
- Suggested built-in dimension: W23.8” x H33.2” x D22.4”
- Weight: 104,5 lbs.
- Price: cc. 800 – 850 USD (cc. 17.7 – 18.9 USD/bottle – if stocked fully up to 45 bottles).
- Warranty: 1 year limited.
The Kalamera 45-Bottle wine cooler is good mid-sized unit at a reasonable price. You might not be able to fill it up with 45 bottles of wine, but at 800 – 850 USD it is still an excellent buy.
- It maintains the set temperature quite well in both zones. You can really enjoy your wines – reds or whites/sparkling, dessert wines – cooled to their most suitable temperature.
- Doesn’t make much noise – only a slight whir when the compressor runs and the fans work.
- No vibration either, so your wines rest safely on the racks. Sedimentation will not be disturbed due to excessive movement. Thus, you can enjoy your wines at their best.
- Very pleasant, higher-end look: pretty wood shelves, quality, thermal insulated glass door with stainless steel trim, digital controls and cool, low-intensity blue LED inner light that stylishly illuminates the bottles.
- Easy to set up and adjust the temperature.
Why Not Buy?
- The red wine zone (bottom part) has space for more bottles than the white wine zone. Thus, if you are a white wine lover and want to chill lots of Chardonnay, Sauvingon Blanc, Pinot Gris, this unit may not be the best choice.
All in all, the Kalamera 45-Bottle wine fridge will be a pride in any wine connoisseur’s kitchen/living room etc. A superb choice if you are looking for a reliable, moderately priced wine storage with 40+ bottles capacity and dual zone feature.
TIP: See also the manufacturer’s website for more information and other wine storage options.
- NewAir 46 Bottle Dual Zone Wine Fridge – An older model but very similar to the Kalamera 45-bottle unit. It costs roughly the same – cc. 800 – 830 USD – as the Kalamera 46-Bottle cooler.
- Kingsbottle 50-Bottle Wine Refrigerator – It’s more like a 46-bottle unit (the manufacturer now sells it as a 46 bottle model, it used to be rated as 50 bottles capacity. It’s a bit pricier than the above 2 fridges though 8above 1 000 USD).
- Wine Refrigerators with 40-50 Bottles Capacity
- Other popular Kalamera wine cooler models – a roundup of the best-selling Kalamera wine fridges based on capacity, number of zones, and placement.
- See other good-quality dual temperature zone wine fridges!