Kitchenaid wine coolers are elegant medium size home cellars designed for either freestanding or under-the-counter built-in use.
The Kitchenaid Architect II Series wine storage units include two temperature zone dedicated wine coolers and three temperature zone wine cooler & beverage centers.
There are models that require custom frame and handle: the customer will need to make or have the overlay frame and handle made by a cabinetmaker or carpenter.
Overview of Kitchenaid Wine Coolers – Architect II Series, 46 Bottles, Dual-Zone
The Kitchenaid Undercounter Wine Coolers with Right Hand or Left Hand Door Swing (Models KUWS24RSSS and KUWS24LSBS) have one manual thermostat for the whole unit so they aren’t true dual zone units.
Setting the Temperature
The mechanical thermostat‘s dial is on the base grille and it is set tot he middle at the factory. The manufacturer suggests that you leave the cooler on the f-ctory setting for optimal cooling.
If you want to set the wine fridge to cooler (warmer) temp. turn the knob clockwise (counter clockwise). The temerature range of Kitchenaid wine coolers is 45°F – 64°F
If you need to adjust the temperature, wait at least 24 hours between adjustments and then recheck the temperature.
The instruction manual of the cooler recommends that “for optimum wine storage, place white wines at the top of the wine cellar, light red wines in the center and red wines at the bottom”.
The LED readout integrated into the zone separator in the middle of the cabinet shows the current temperature in the upper and lower zones either in Fahrenheit or Celsius.
There are 5 slide-out metal racks with unstained maple fronts. The bottom shelf can be used for display purpose. Shelves are removable (follow instructions in the appliance’s manual)
The cabinet interior is illuminated with soft lighting that turns on whenever the door is opened.
You can turn the light on/off at any time by opening the door and pressing the exterior switch located beside the temperature control knob on the base grille.
Kitchenaid 46-Bottle Wine Cellar (KUWS24RSSS, right hand door swing)
Review & Rating
- Capacity: 46 bottles, top zone: 16, bottom zone: 28
- Cabinet color: two color options: black cabinet with black interior, black front grille or all stainless steel cabinet
- Door: stainless steel-trimmed, tempered and tinted glass door with stainless steel bar handle, right hand door swing,
- Cooling method: compressor, auto defrost
- Number of zones: two temperature zones
- Built-in/Freestanding: both, front ventilation
- Temperature Control
mechanical thermostat: a dial mounted on the front grille (manufacturer suggests to set it to the middle): temperature cannot be set independently for the two zones.
- Temperature Range:
45°F – 64°F
- Shelving: 5 natural maple wood front metal shelves – gliding, removable, the bottom rack is designed for displaying wines
- Humidity level: not adjustable
- Noise: according to the manual: “Your new wine cellar may make sounds that your old one didn’t
make. Because the sounds are new to you, you might be
concerned about them. Most of the new sounds are normal. Hard
surfaces, such as the flooring and surrounding structures, can
make the sounds seem louder.”
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 35 1/8″ x 23 3/4″ x 26 3/8″
- Shipping Weight: 160 lbs.
- Price range: cc. US$ 1450 – 1700 (US$ 31.52 – 36.95/bottle).
- Warranty: 1 year limited Parts & Labor warranty
Pros & Cons
- attractive, well-built wine fridge
- easy to install and use
- fairly quiet
- no true dual zone unit,
- mechanical temp. control
- expensive – there are more affordable with real two zones and digital temperature control
Rating (1- 5 stars):
Kitchenaid Beverage & Wine Cooler – 3 Temperature Zones
Alternatives to Kitchenaid Wine Coolers:
- Jenn-Air 46-bottle wine cooler – exactly the same as the Kitchenaid wine fridges under a different brand name.
- Avanti 46-bottle Dual-Zone Wine Refrigerator, WCR5104DZD – an attractive dual temperature zone unit with 5 wood shelves.
- Cavavin Urbania 46-bottle Wine Cooler – available in 3 finishes.
- Summit SWC530LBI Wine Cooler – cheaper than the Kitchenaid, true dual zone, stores 46 bottles on 6 slide-out wood shelves.
- EdgeStar CWR460DZ 46-Bottle Wine Cellar – dual-zone, built-in unit with stainless steel trimmed wood shelves.
- Magic Chef 44-botle Dual Zone Wine Cooler – a cheap, functional wine refrigerator with 2 independently controlled zones.
- 40-50 Bottle Wine Refrigerators – selection of the best medium -size electric wine cellars.
- Two Tempearture Zone Wine Cellars – recommended true dual zone wine coolers.
- U-Line Echelon Series 2-Zone Wine Cellars – 43-bottle undercounter units with two independent temp. zones.
- The Sub-Zero 424 Dual Zone Under Counter Wine Cellar stores up tp 46 bottles of wine.